Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering wobble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FOSGATE5, Mar 7, 2001.

1. FOSGATE5

FOSGATE5 Registered Member

What causes the steering to wobble when traveling at 55+mph only when you hit a bump when turning to the left? The alignment is also pretty bad and pulls to the left anyway. I've had this happening on my K1500 Blazer LT for nearly a year now. Had it in a shop once but they could not immedialty diagnose the problem at their location and wanted $50 to take it to someone they contract it out to just to find the problem. Needless to say it has not been identified. I suspect either the idler arm or left front shock but am not sure. It has no knock to it as if it were the upper and lower ball joints grinding. Also what is the possible repair cost to this? I've been putting it off for so long because I'm suspecting that someone will try and get me for at least 1K for upper and lower ball joints, shocks and idler arm.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

When you say "idler arm", I am guessing you have an 88 or newer truck. There are no "idler arms" on the K-series trucks. You may be thinking about the drag link which connects the pitman arm to the steering arm.
    I have had a wobble problem with my vehicles too. I suspected warped rotors, when stopping, or bad shocks and tie rod when just driving. I replaced the steering stabilizer for a new one and the wobble went away. Too many different variations as to what really could be wrong. Just have to work around with everything.

3. FOSGATE5

Just out of curiosity, how much did the stabalizer set you back?

4. FOSGATE5

Oh, by the way the truck is a 1991.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The stabilizer was just a Rancho part that I replaced when the old one went bad. It made a hell of a difference on the shimmy.
    Is your 91 a truck or blazer? If its the truck, you have a total different suspension. The GM trucks that have the IFS do use the idler arm for steering, but not the "old" body style trucks.

6. FOSGATE5

it's a full size Blazer with the LT package.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That dosent sound like a K5... sounds like a Blazer Sport, which is still a full sized, but is more like the Tahoe and Yukon's. that is IFS. If you dont have a front axle, you dont have a k5. :)

8. FOSGATE5

That's exactly what it is like. It is the last year the Blazer came in the Full size before the called it a Tahoe in 1992. It does have the IFS and anti lock brakes etc etc.

9. FOSGATE5

By the way I mention it as a K,1500 or full size series because most people you talk to assume it's an S-10 Blazer.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

It doesnt sound like anyone was referring to the S10 Here. But yours is a blazer sport, which is the k1500 chassie, but with IFS (For the most part), and also the modern dash. could be a wheel bearing, could be bushings, could be a shock. On the IFS though, it is still an easy diagnosis. Though Why you are turning to the left at 55 is still beyond me. Id get an alignment first. A good ilignment shop will center your steering wheel, and then adjust everything accordingly. Could be as simple as a toe in/camber adjustment.