Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

So, this may be an easy question to answer, but it it's about 2 turn to lock to the left, and a little over 1 turn to lock to the right. My turn radius to the right is twice that of my radius to the left...:confused: In other words, I can't turn worth a darn to the right.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Have you lifted it reacently? If so did you use a dropped pitman arm or a raised steering arm? Maybe you need to adjust your draglink. Tell us any modifications you have done to the truck.

Ira

3. Kyle Strong

I just bought the truck a month or so ago, and all it has is a 3" body lift. I have no clue what he did when he lifted it, but I have a feeling not much. I'm running a 10b front if you care

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

With the body lift he would have to extend the steering shaft and he may have put it on wrong on the box end or the steering wheel end could be 180 out. I would center the box and see where it puts the steering wheel.

Ira

5. Kyle Strong

Yeah, maybe. I had a shop weld in one of those steering box support plates cause my steering box was about ready to fall off, so if I understand what you mean correctly, they probably should have fixed the problem when they had the box off.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Not necessarilly they prolly just unbolted the rag joint and did not remove the splined portion from the box. That would allow them to remove the box from the frame. If your box does not have the flat spot on the splined shaft it could easily have been put on wrong. even with the flat area you can force the splines together by wedging the clamp apart.

Ira

7. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

if they had known they might have
    my guess is they marked it before they took it off and put it back in the same place
    like the guy who did the lift should of
    (if that is the problem)

8. Kyle Strong

So, it's pretty much either the shaft is in wrong, or the drop pitman arm is wrong?

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It should not have a drop pitman arm if there is no suspension lift. If it does then that is your problem.

Ira