Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering woe's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 24, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Steering woe\'s

Everytime i turn the wheel more than a little bit i can feel like really tiny vibrations in it but just when im turning it not if its turned and just sitting there... they are sall vibrations almost like a groaning or moaning sound but I dont think you can hear it but you can feel it? Does that make any sense I dont know whats wrong.. maybe pwr steering? I was doing donuts a few weeks ago and there some thuking every now and then, my tranny shifter was going insane bouncing back in forth but never coming out of gear.... etc. I duno whats wrong now hah. everything seems to drive absolutely fine except for the every once in a while "groan " of the steering wheel.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Steering woe\'s

Sounds like the power steering fluid level is low. Those pumps don't like to run out of fluid. They moan and groan when forced to work without enough fluid in them.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

May not be related to your steering issue, but I'd check out your motor and tranny mounts. If your shifter was hopping around without coming out of gear, that generally would point to the tranny itself bouncing around and moving the shift linkage around...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

...lay off the "donuts". That'll prevent a lot of problems!

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"