Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering woes.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, I have an 82 Jimmy and my friend has a 71 3/4 ton Chevy. When we go out wheelin and have a day/night of fun, when we leave oour steering wheels are off by about 1/4 turn, then as you drive for a couple miles they relocate back to where they are supposed to be eventually.

Any idea what causes this? I have only seen it on our two vehicles.

Both vehilces have new or newer parts. I actually just replaced everything when I put it back together(tie ords, ball joints, drag link, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check the bolts holding the steering box on to the frame. They are famous for working loose and 'ovaling' the holes.

[​IMG]

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Weird, mine is similar. I think the frame twists around and after some level driving it settles back to it's normal shape. Mine changes when I reconnect the swaybar and drive a little.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Were my wheel sets changes from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. Remember that hubs dont unlock as soon as you trun the dial do to binding. Mine can take 1/2 a mile or so to unlock sometimes. I can tell when they do as the wheel goes back to the 2 wheel drive setting [​IMG]

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken