Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ttihsllub, Aug 22, 2004.

1. ttihsllub

ttihsllub Newbie

When i purchased my 72 K5 there was a lot of play in the steering. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help my situation?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

welcome to CK5, take a few minutes to fill out your profile so we know what your working with. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

there can be quite a few thing assisioted with loos steering, one check the tierod ends and the draglink ends. if those are good, then check the rag joint on the steering shaft before the steering box. also check the "bell" joint on the column near the firewall. if all those are good, then the steering box is probably loose. there is a way to tighten it up but not sure exactly on how to do it.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Just have someone move the steering wheel back and forth without actally breaking the tires loose, and see where the movement is.

I've seen steering boxes that were loosening up on the frame, or the frame being cracked. The wormgear inside the steering box could also have some play in it. They mentioned that here.

And also, what he said.