Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLDSTEEL, Apr 24, 2000.

1. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I have replaced my steering gear box thinking that was the problem, it helped but the thing still wants to go all over the road. I would like to hear what some of you think about problem before it kills me.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Assuming your front end has been rebuilt...ball joints...tie rods and drag links etc...did you check the frame really close while removing the box for the dreaded crack? Fixed the crack on my 79 and added the ORD steering box brace and their HD shackles...believe it or not the wanderin ways are no more...actually drives like new! I highly recommend the steering box brace!!!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Check your steering arm where it attaches to the gear box and the drag link...make sure it's nice and tight. somehow mine worked its way loose....and whoa talk about loosy goosy steering...it wandered everywhere and i had oodles of play in the wheel....after fixing it i nearly put myself in the ditch the steering was so tight

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Worn tie rod ends can cause slop too. Check them and replace as needed.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

5. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I didn't know that the brace from ORD makes that much of a difference. I'm gonna try that soon!
    Thanks!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

6. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

My blazer goes through drag links every 18 to 24 months or so. Front one seems to go before the rear one does. Figured just part of the deal. So bought moog links with the lifetime warranty and spend about 45 minute changing them every other year. I change front wheel bearings at the same time.