Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Oct 22, 2001.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I know ive been asking alot of questions lately, but all of you are so helpful, i hate to ask anyone else. I am installing a new drag link in my '91 tomorrow afternoon, and wanted to know if i have to have the alignment checked after i replace them. Both the front and rear drags are shot, and i am not sure how far to thread them into the sleeve to keep the tires where they are now. I figured if i tried to match the length to the old once it is assembled, it should be pretty close...???? Thanks!

Mud, the ultimate paint job

2. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Yes , match the length up close , then install and turn sleeve until steering wheel is straight when driving straight , and make sure it turns the same amount either way!! CC

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, you aren't affecting the alignment if the drag link is off, you are just affecting which direction both wheels are facing. Get the front wheels facing straight, then adjust drag link until steering wheel ends up straight as well. Took me a couple of times under the truck to get my steering wheel "perfect" but I just like to have things right.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Front and rear drag link?

You mean tie rid and drag link? Tie rod comes goes from knuckle to knuckle. Drag link goes from pitman arm to knuckle.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

5. nofeartruckin00

Well its just the drag link, but both parts of it. Cause the short one goes to the pitman arm, and the long goes to the knuckle. Just wasnt sure how far to thread them both into the sleeve. Im gonna pull the old stuff out in about and hour, and just match the length of the new parts to the old. Thanks everyone.

6. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

hey, how exactly do you do this?
    My new truck's wheel is slightly off-center when driving staight, and if it's not too hard I'd like to correct it. I'm sorry, I don't know all the names of stuff yet, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Like Nofear, I ask many more questions than I can answer, but this site has been a great learning tool for me. I (we) really appreciate this resource and the people who spend thier time helping rookines like myself learn.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i too would like to know how to correct this...my steering wheel is stuck at 12 and 6 o'clock (was at 9 and 3) *smacks self* [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

8. nofeartruckin00

I didnt get a chance to replace the drag link yesterday (buddie's furd has got a tranny prob.), so i will be doing it this afternoon. ill post back on what ya gotta do to get the wheel straight, sounds pretty easy.

9. dyeager535

Pull off drivers side wheel, and look for the short "shaft" with two ball joints on either end. Maybe, 12" long? Has a sleeve in the middle, with two clamps at either end of the sleeve. Each of the balljoints will have threads up to, and in to, the sleeve. Loosen the two clamps up quite a bit (remember their position, GM says thats important) and stick a strong, big bladed screwdriver in the slot in the sleeve. (usually the slot is on back side) Pry the sleeve open a bit, then get a pipe wrench, and turn it. Whichever way the steering wheel needs to go, is the direction you need to rotate the sleeve. (clockwise to turn the wheel clockwise, and CCW for the other way obviously) Helps to lube the assembly up with WD-40 also. I've noticed on those type of "sleeves" that if the pipe wrench is used on the wrong part of the sleeve (like opposite the split in the sleeve) you will actually have a hard time rotating the sleeve, as it pinches the sleeve against the threads...if it's too hard to turn, try locating the wrench at a different angle on the sleeve. (higher or lower) Since mine probably hadn't been apart in 15+ years, I had to jump on the wrench to free the sleeve from the rust, but once it was free and lubed, it turned easily.

Then, tighten the clamps up (not super tight) and go for a drive. Take the pipe wrench and proper ratchet (1/2"?) with you, and if its still off, just pull over, and make quick adjustment from underneath. Easy.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

10. nofeartruckin00

Here is a pic of what to do, really easy.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chevyrides/draglink>http://www.geocities.com/chevyrides/draglink</a>

11. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

Should I replace all of the drag link and tie rod if i have enough play in the wheel to turn almost half way around and not move the tires? [​IMG]

<font color=red> It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it</font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

have you tightened the steering box yet (m2cnts)

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Looks like I will try to get this done tomorrow since my steering wheel is way off since my lift and axle swap.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

get an ord steering box brace . tighten yer box mounting bolts and locktite em .

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

15. dyeager535

Never dealt with lifts, but as much as I've seen on this board, if you lift it enough, you are changing steering geometry, which requires a different Pitman Arm.(?)

Dorian