Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82GMCP/U, Mar 16, 2003.

1. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

What can I do to make my truck turn a little sharper? I have a 82 GMC LWB P/U 6" susp. lift and 3" body lift w/35's and it takes a shopping mall parking lot to make a complete circle /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. My Blazer turns so much better. What can I do? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im sure isnt response you need, but oh well: may be able to buy ratio-modified after market gear boxes, other than that theres not much you can do, its a truck not a car. i like how trucks take a huge area to turn around in, thats what makes them what they are- a truck! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif if a truck turned and drove and ran like a car then it'd be pointless to have it, cars suck, cept for chevelles and novas and vettes and 9C1's, IMO

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

Yeah it's a truck and its big and all, but it gets a little tricky out on the trails when you can't turn as sharp as the others and you don't have any room to jocky it around. Thats why I keep a chainsaw in the truck, if it won't fit when I start it will when I'm finished. I just wish it would turn like my Blazer.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Crank your wheels to full lock in each direction and crawl under the backside of the front axle, on the knuckle there is a bolt threaded in, that is your steering stop. If the stop is contacting the axle at full lock then you can adjust it in a little to gain some turning radius. If it is not touching the axle then you are in for a bit of work and $$$ to correct it... this is where crossover steering comes in, it will allow full lock to lock steering under most all conditions even extreme flex. You can adjust where to mount the draglink on the passenger side steering arm depending on your needs: mount it all the way forward on the arm and you will have a lot of turning power, but a wide radius, if you move it a bit rearward then you will have decreased power but a tight turning radius (then all you have to do is add hydro assist ) Hope this gives you some ideas. OR... You could always just hack a foot or two out of your frame to make a shorter wheel base /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif