Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by brc502, Mar 8, 2004.

1. brc502

brc502 Newbie

I have an 83 K-20 with a 4" lift. My steering is stock and not the greatest as you guys know. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions or could direct me to relative articles on coloradoK5 as I'm new to this site. I do not know if I want to do a crossover, or if there is an easier fix. Thank you.

2. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

You can use a dro pitman arm or a drop drag link, or a raised steering arm. All available through most off road suspension manufactureres. Cheeper than cross over by far. It does not improve the steering while your suspension is flexing, but helps on the road.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if ur gonna wheel hard go x-over... if you arent, then yeah, just get a drop pirman arm. Best place to find one would be here on ck5... just find someone going x-over...

j

4. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

What exactly are you trying to fix/accomplish? I'm sorry to repeat here, but I just replaced most of the steering components on my '78 K20. For just some "loose feel", or slop, replace that stock steering shaft with a nice Borgeson dual u-joint shaft assembly, and for extra piece of mind, install a steering box brace kit from Off Road Design. Both of those will give significant gains in overall steering "feel", eliminating the "looseness" you most likely have now.

If your box is bad, either replace seals, or replace the box itself with either a stock replacement from a local parts store, or go with a nice AGR unit-I just installed an SB2 box, with a "super pump" and remote reservoir along with the above mentioned. Of course, then there are the drag link ends, and tie rod as well-how are they? I went with a "Rock Rod" from RockStomper-featured in the product review section of CK5, but it looks as if ORD also has a very similar product for around the same price. Anyway, those would be a good place to start, and for me, replacing everything was still cheaper than going the cross-over route. Not to mention, the downtime I would have had having my D44 knuckles machined... To replace everything took the better part of the day, but again, I was taking my time and cleaning the truck itself all around the area's being replaced, as well as painting new parts.

Anyhow, hope that helps, Best of Luck!

Mike

5. brc502

brc502 Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions about my steering. I already have ORD steering box brace, rebuilt pump and gear box with the raised steering arm. Being that I do not offroad every weekend, mainly just hunting trips, I think I will go with replacing all rod ends, borgenson shaft and a dropped pitman arm. I thank you for your advice.

6. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

if you already have a raised steering arm then you sure dont need a dropped pitman arm. i have a 6" lift and a raised steering arm and everything works great.