Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Mar 10, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right, this may be stupid of me to ask, but how is everyone else's steering with 35's? I got in my truck, after being parked for a few weeks and it seemed like the steering was a whole lot looser than usual. Anyone ever run into this and know how to fix? Kind of makes me scared to drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

check the frame for cracks? you may need the steering box repair kit from ord.

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Done the frame repair a year or so ago and boxed it up why I had it apart. How should the drag links feel? I know very little about the steering stuff. They are loose and can be rotated by hand. Do you think that could be it?

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

jack the front end up so both tires are off the ground, have someone wiggle the drivers tire back and forth while you look at both tie rod ends and drag link ends. If they have play replace them. Also a good time to check for wheel bearing play and ball joint play. Wiggle tire up/down to check. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    jack the front end up so both tires are off the ground, have someone wiggle the drivers tire back and forth while you look at both tie rod ends and drag link ends. If they have play replace them. Also a good time to check for wheel bearing play and ball joint play. Wiggle tire up/down to check. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've had a few problems with the front draglink end having to much play (the threads are wearing out) with the pitman arm. And yes I understand what you mean by SCARY /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif