Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steers all over the @$^$^ road!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandracer0004, Feb 5, 2004.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

hey guys i have a question,

my truck is all over the road, it steers like hell, I prob need an alignment, but its so bad im scared to tow my trailer over 50 with out it drifting all over the place, just as bad with out a trailer. I think i need to replace my steering arm, I have replaced both the ball joints on the drag link and the shaft between the tires up front looks good, but im wondering about the gear box? can you adjust them? 167k miles on the truck. Im just wondering if the gear box is part of my frustration? also my sway bar bushings are trashed, i have new ones but does that affect steering?

help?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

First off look around the gearbox for frame cracks. Could happen. I would run the steering brace kit anyway if you find none ( ordering mine ). And if all is ok get aligned and rebalance the tires.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

tie rod ends? ball joints?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3 words...dual steering stabilizer

5. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

Check out www.autofab.com if your frame is cracked (or not) about a steering box brace they are built very good,it'll run you about a $100.00,but well worth it.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had bad tyre wear and the truck wandering all over the place. I had cracks around the steering box on the frame and the steering knuckle ball joints top and bottom were totally shot. Much hard work, swearing and hammer weilding and it's sweet now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Aside from toe-in/out there isn't much to align.

Frame cracks...
    loose box mounting bolts (common)
    bad ball joints
    bad DL ends
    bad TR ends
    messed up rag joint

My 81 Jimmy, no sway bar, single stabilizer, on 39.5" TSL's steers down the road straight and without any wander even at 70 mph...and the TSL's are bias ply. My steering box has never been adjusted and has well over 220,000 miles on it.

Rene

8. the cowboy

the cowboy Registered Member

Your best bet will be to have an assistant sit in the truck and wiggle the wheel while you watch the system. It should be obvious then where the play is.

Hope that helps

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your best bet will be to have an assistant sit in the truck and wiggle the wheel while you watch the system. It should be obvious then where the play is.

Hope that helps

[/ QUOTE ]

This works the best for finding the problems, at least is always has for me, you can actually see where the play is and in/on which component. About the only thing you can do to ajust the steering gearbox is a locking nut and usually a little allen head screw, but all that does is tightens up the gear "mesh" if you will,,, doesn't really help out with the loose side to side play the wheel might have, will only make it "tighter" to turn, i didn't like it when i messed with mine and don't think you should really mess with it all. If your gearbox has alot of side to side play, which it might with that many miles, i would just break down and buy a new one. Unless of course you DO find play in one of the steer components.

10. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

thats what i did found out my stering box was loose and i had a bad ball joint. i have hydroboost and my steering is too easy. it dosnt retyrn to center and the wheel turns too easily. what can i do?

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The only return to center you can get is from your wheel alignment (caster + camber + toe). You can't adjust the caster without welding or changing pinion angle, but an alignment shop can help you with the rest. As for the steering being too easy, you probably need to change the valve in the output of the steering pump.

12. the excuse

how is that done?

13. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The only return to center you can get is from your wheel alignment (caster + camber + toe). You can't adjust the caster without welding or changing pinion angle, but an alignment shop can help you with the rest. As for the steering being too easy, you probably need to change the valve in the output of the steering pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I've always thought my steering was too easy also. Tell us more about this valve deal. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I've always thought my steering was too easy also. Tell us more about this valve deal. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto! My '91 feels light on the steering compared to modern vehicles but my '78 is WAY lighter and feels real 'flighty' going down the and I know all components are good as I've just replaced EVERYTHING! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    It would be nice to get a bit more 'feel' from it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Mastiff

These guys have an adjustable pressure regulator for the power steering. May be the ticket to get a little more feedback feel by lowering the pressure slightly. Kind of a plumbing hassle though. There's probably a better way to do it internally if you had the right parts.

http://www.heidts.com/heip27.htm#power

16. southernspeed

Thanks. Looks like a big brake proportioning valve. Guess it would work but would be straining the pump all the time as it probebly only restricts flow..not sure I like the idea of that. Anyone tried one?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. the excuse

what about that little jam nut and hex bolt in the top of the stering box.

18. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. Looks like a big brake proportioning valve. Guess it would work but would be straining the pump all the time as it probebly only restricts flow..not sure I like the idea of that. Anyone tried one?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it doesn't work by restricting it, it just sends the unneeded pressure back to the pump and sends the amount you dial in to the box. I found an article from Hot Rod magazine, but I lost the URL. You could find it with Google pretty easily.

19. southernspeed

Cool! Not cheap but sounds like it's worth a go...thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif