Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stella Awards... Pathetic friggin' losers......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyracing, Dec 17, 2002.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Stella Awards... Pathetic friggin\' losers......

Shoot all the lawyers and start over.

Subject: Stella Awards

It's time once again to consider the candidates for the annual Stella Awards. The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United States.
    The following are this year's candidates:
    1. Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was
    Ms. Robertson's son.

2. A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hub caps.

3. Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had
    just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not ableto get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and
    garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr.Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental
    anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

4. Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was
    less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

5. A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of
    Lancaster,Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms.
    Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

6. Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the
    owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the
    ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

7. This year's favorite could easily be Mr.
    Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brandnew 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. No surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr.
    Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that
    he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying
    their recreation vehicles.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Stella Awards... Pathetic friggin\' losers......

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI think I'll sue you for bumming me out with this post.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

These things are SO disgusting, what kind of Judge (and if applicable) jury do we have in the U.S.?

Where is everyone COMMON SENSE!?!?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You'll notice MOST of this B.S. is successful in CA! SHeesh, I am so OUT of CA when I finish my degree...
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    7. This year's favorite could easily be Mr.
    Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brandnew 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. No surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr.
    Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that
    he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying
    their recreation vehicles

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?!?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I call hoax or BS on that one...that story has been floating around for at least 20 years now!!!

Rene

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

urban legends /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. tRustyK5

Thanks fumes...I can never remember that site when I need it/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I knew the last one was BS for sure though!

Rene

8. chevyracing

Seems this post has been redone several times by several other people.........

John

9. tRustyK5

I think we're on the 4th or 5th posting of this by now... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

10. chevyracing

I posted it back in Decmeber. Since then I have seen it several times. Oh well.. All is fun.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

We had some fool try to sue us (my place of employment).

- One of our guys resealed his P.S. pump, 3 or 4 weeks later the guy piled up his truck on the freeway. He said his steering locked up.
    Sorry, not gonna happen. The guy fell asleep at the wheel and was looking for someone else to blame.

- One more that comes to mind.
    Service writer tells me this Suburban is comeing in on a hook (tow-truck), I just worked on it. The owner claims the wheel-fell off. As you can imagin, I was FREAKED-AWT!
    And there it is, on the hook. Driver's side tires gone, major road-rash down the same side. Ahhh- but it has those crazy A.M. polished rims on it, those things are far from round and the hubs are usualy anything but flat. I know this and hand-torque 'em everytime... Anyway, I talked to the Tow-truck driver, he says the tracks on the road led right up to the cement-devider and continued on for another 30/40 feet... less one of the 4. He says, the guy's daughter was driveing it and lost control.
    Yet another idiot trying to point fingers.

And thats just us, can you imagin how meny dumb arses are out there looking to take a piece of the worlds largest auto-maker.
    It's gotta suck to be G.M. sometimes.

12. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It's gotta suck to be G.M. sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no sympathy for GM. They're the same company that decided it made more fiscal sense to not build the fuel tank location as safely as possible on millions of its cars. When they were sued an internal memo was brought into evidence showing GM saved $6 a car by not changing a thing...the memo went on to say settling the occasional lawsuit due to death was much cheaper.

Rene