Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stength of the hardtop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70_K5, Apr 15, 2002.

1. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

ok i have a hard top on my k-5 now and i want to put a soft top on. the problem comes wwere to store the hardtop when the soft top is on. i have room in my basement but the doors only opn to about 5 feet across, the top is like 6 feet. so is the top strong enuf so i can tilt it on a 45 degree angle say to fit it thre the doors? or will the sides start to cave in? thanks for the input.... ohh yeah old man won't let the top stay outside

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Is your top the single wall or double wall? The double wall is definately strong enough, I had my top stood up on its side for a few days while it was off. I still don't see how you could manuever the top through such a small opening though. Also, my experience is with a half top, not a full convertable top like yours.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Brace it with 2x4s ... one bolted down each rail and then two more going from side to side. It will also help keep it from warping. I added wheels to the frame I built and now moving it from spot to spot is a one person job /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

its on my dads 89 so its a 1/2 top. how do i tell how many walls it has on it? will the sides fall in on themselves if i turn it sideways but hold the center part?... just thought of that, if i turn it sideways threw the door, like the left side is now the top and right side the bottom... hmm that might work if we can carry it

5. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

is there room in your garage rafters? Our rafters are high enough up that I just back in the garage and hoist the top up with 2 2x4's accross under it tied to the rafters. just pull one rope a little at a time and it's a one person job. some type of pulley system sould be nice too. If your truck is too tall for the garage it will still work, just have to carry the top in there and hoist it more. I still manage to fit my truck in my garage with a 4" lift and 35"s, (barely) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. JAKDUPBLUK5

JAKDUPBLUK5 Registered Member

My garage sux! I cnat fit my '87 k5 in there with a 4 inch lift and 33's. and im moving to another house soon thatll fit the removed top and that about it. lol

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

If it is on an '89, it is a double wall, so you don't have to worry about the strength (unless you drop it!) I'm pretty sure that only some of the '69-'72 tops were single walled, I just thought that you were talking about the top on a '70