Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Step Bars - Offering Protection?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Nov 21, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'd like to get some step bars (so my wife can get in the truck!).

Do they offer any protection from rocks / stumps/ etc? How are they mounted - to the frame?

Can anyone recommend some that are strong, and not just "show"?

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Most mount to the body. They're not meant to be rock sliders. You can get J**p TJ steps for the SEC rock sliders. Step bars also take away some ground clearance too</font color=blue>

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i have a set from summit on my 89, and they mount to the frame. i had to spend most of christmas day under my truck with my brother-in-law's cheap drill. well worth it. i got the black ones with no indentation, they were about $200.
    the wife loves them, and the kids use them to climb all over the truck in the driveway.
    they've come into play while wheeling; i don't know how much damage they prevented, but i felt the thud when we slid to the right on a trail. there were some marks on the bars, but hey, that's what they're for.
    and they're at the right height for idiots in parking lots. i still park torwards the rear of the lot most of the time, but i don't worry as much about door dents. who cares if my nerf bars get dinged!
    my blazer is now vulnerable only to idiots in big trucks.
    and mudholes.
    i'd say grab a set. and you can get grip tape from a skate shop, and cut a cool chevy logo for the traction section.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, my wife is 5'1" and her rig is a '90 Sub lifted 6" with 35" tires...so for her to get in, we mounted a set of Smittybilt nerfs, which mount directly to the frame. I don't know how strong they would be if the weight of the Sub were on em, but they seem pretty darn stout.

ken

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, that is the info I was looking for. I'll check them both out.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you looking for just a step then yeah that stuff is ok but if your looking for wheeling equipment get something custom. I have seen way to many rockers get chewed up buy weak tube nurfs being slammed into the rockers. Solid mounting to the frame is no good. the Frames on our trucks will flex and allow the bars to hit. My recomendation is the bars be firmly mounted to the body to suport comming down on rocks and stuff and the be attached to the frame with bushings to take from the side impacts but allow some movement.
    I hate it but my 5ft1 pregnat wife is begging me to put the damn ugly running boards back on her 79. For the time being they will go on but I will be building a set of nurfs out of 2x2 that I can pull a pin and drop down a few extra inches for her to use as a step in the near future if I can't talk her into getting a sub for the extra doors. Any body want to trade a 69-72 rust free sub with all the A/C parts on it (doesn't have to work just be there so I can make it work) sub (2wd is preferable) for a completly redone mechanicly 79 K5? :) Body a little rough (Tellico rash) but the crate motor purrrrrrsssss and the A/C blows.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Grim
    Thoes 3 door subs are SWEETT I would like to get one too.
    Good luck Onthe trade!! If you relly get a chance I like the 71-72 the best,front disk breaks allready there. But you are a handy fella so doin the conversion should be a walk in the park. Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just found an add for one 1970 for $500 says "needs little to be drivable". Found a add for a steel Cowl hood for $200. But I have also found a Z28 TPI with a bad fuel pump for $1500.....Hmm I wonder if the Z28 brakes would fit? hehehehe.I also found 3 other potential TPI's for my 75 and I found an add for a rebuilt TH350 with a NP205 for $375! man now if I can just find an add for free cash so I can get all these parts!!!!! Ohh also found an add for a 12bolt with 4.56 and a detroit and a mathing ratio 10 bolt for $850 OBO! Taking donations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what the wife would say if I brought home this Sub? hahahahahaha It's for her after all!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/