Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Step van 14b FF's....are the "van width" housings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I found a step van at the junk yard with a 14b ff....Do the step vans have the wider van width housings?

I guess I could go measure it.....

2. Zeus33rd

Hello? Anyone?

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

You found it. Why not measure it?

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm with Baja Blazer. I don't know why you went to the j/y w/o a tape measure in the first place :crazy:

However from the one I saw last time I was there...It looked A LOT wider then the one in my truck.

5. Zeus33rd

Because I went there looking for seatbelts. I don't need or want a van width 14b. It's for someone else. ;)

6. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

the van 14b is wider but it will line up your front wheels with your back since the stock set up on a k5 the front is wider but spring perches are the same though

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The "G" series Vans are the 3" or so wider ones and the "P" series Vans are wider yet if my memory serves me correctly.
    Tom

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Yep, you are looking for the G series van 14FF. It is a single rear wheel axle and 3" wider.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might fit..

We put a rear axle from a 71 P30 series step van(single rear wheels) into a 78 GMC pickup (3/4 ton) at the junkyard I worked at--it went right in as far as the spring pads went,--I dont think it was any wider overall,never measured it. I'm not sure it was a 14 bolt,it might have been a dana or a spicer rear end--I know it wasn't an Eaton axle...The P30 frame was very similar to a pickup,same 34 inch spread between the rails,just flat all the way back,no "humps" over the rear wheels..

But once we did that swap,we assumed the other step vans there would be the same,and we sold another one of the rear axles out of another P30 (all were 70's vintage) to another customer looking for a heavier duty rear end--it didnt fit,it was an 11,000 lb axle with dual rears,the spring pads were "narrow" like the later dually pickups!--

There was one more P30 left there with single rear wheels,we cut the rear end out of it and measured it--it was identical to the pickups rear axle he wanted to replace--but this one was a 4.56 ratio--he had 4.10's..and his was a 4x4--so it was a no go...

The one I saw yesterday at another junkyard was a later Fex-Ex truck with a 14 bolt FF with dual rears,19.5 tires with 8 lug rims-(and a cummins 4BT turbo wuth a TH400! :laugh: )-it looked WAY wider than even a G30 van 14 bolt would be--like 6 inches wider overall(a guess--I didn't bring a tape measure either!) :blush: ...Guess there are about a dozen different axles,spring pad widths,overall width,etc,--gets complicated pretty fast... :screwy: