Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen - 0 rate Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by reddog64, Apr 9, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK.. i know I can add teh 0 rates to the front, but can i use the 0 rates to move my front axle forward.. or back ward, or will it really screw up my steeriong angles?

2. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

It doen't scew up the angles. You just have to adjust the draglink to comensate for the axle being farther away from the piman arm location. I have the 0rates on my front D60, but I also have crossover steering and it works great.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

When you move your axle forward, you have to shorten the drag link by roughly the same amount (change in angle due to 1" lift makes it slightly less). This will increase the bump steer a bit due to the shorter radius described by the axle end of the drag link when the axle moves. Adding additional angle to the shortened drag link (due to the 1” additional lift) can also increase bump steer, again, depending on the total angle, this may not be a problem. How much bump steer you will wind up with depends on how much bump steer you have now, the angle of the drag link before and after the offset, the size of your lift, the amount of axle flex you want/need/have, and a few other things. All these things combined will determine whether this will work for you or not. I just moved my axle forward 2" and there is no way the front-back drag link would work for me. My personal recommendation is that you go to cross over if you want to move the axle any significant amount from the stock location. Might not be a big deal (depending on your specific circumstances) for small amounts but, only you can determine where to draw the line. Might be worth a “try it and see”.

You might also talk got Greg72, he just moved his axle forward and kept the stock drag link setup. I don’t think he was too happy with it, he’s going cross over IIRC.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The others pretty much lined it out, you might look to some other back posts for more info too.