Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen...advice onm x-case issues...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jekbrown, Nov 16, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey stephen, I have a 85 jimmy...350/700r4/208, 4" sus lift, 1" body. Right now my x-case (208) gives me some nasty vibe probs, and I just dont like the slip yoke. To that end, I wanna get a np205. Only problem is, *eventually* I wanna run a doubler setup. I am not a mech guru, but your site says you need the TH400 version of the 205 to make things work right. Of course if I wanted to run a 205 right now by itself, I'd get a TH350 compatible one so I could use it with my current tranny etc. When I wanna go with the doubler, will I have to get a whole new x-case (the 400 vers) or is there just a swap of parts that will work?

I like to think of these things way ahead of time so I dont shoot myself in the foot too often. Good idea when you have a limited budget. ;) Anyway, whatdya think? Whats the best upgrade path?

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I believe if you want to get rid of your slip yoke you can use some dodge parts from a 208, also although the205 is plenty strong you will be giving some up in the low range (2.61 vs 1.96) depending on how soon you decide to double up it may not be a concern

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I hear ya about the low range. Still, I am willing to give it up for the time being. I really dont wanna be 100 miles from nowhere with a broken rear drive shaft on a slip yoked x-case. =\ By the time I put the 205 in, I'll have my Raptor 700R4 in there behind a 350, and 4.56 gears turning 35s. Losing the really low range in a 208 would be annoying, but like I said, I'll suffer until I can put in the doubler. ;) Only question is...will I have to get a whole new np205 to use with the doubler...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

No you can bore out your case at the input to accept the large bearing and a 32 spline input. cost me about $250 for the input, bearing and machine work to put it all together.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Butch is right, you can easily swap to the 32 spl input, but the most economical path may be to find a manual 10 spline 205 to do it with and sell the TH350 version 205 (the one you need to hook up the the TH700) as a complete unit. That way you end up with a little cash to put toward the converted 205.
    4.56's with the TH700/205 and 35's will do OK, I thought it was pretty nice till I ran the Doubler kit and then I didn't know how to get along without it!

You could find a good 203 to put in for the time being. I know not many people like a 203, but if you have a good one they will work well. Then your rear driveshaft will still work with the doubler and you don't go backward on the 205 at all.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>