Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen, Do you have any input on 4 to 1's for a 241

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by wayne, Dec 29, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Stephen, Do you have any input on 4 to 1\'s for a 241

I'm tring to get info on them to see how well they hold up in a heavy vehicle such as a K5. I know I could just go with a Doubler but this is for the wifes K5 so I want to keep it somewhat simple for her.

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Stephen, Do you have any input on 4 to 1\'s for a 241

Not Stephen, but I've been hunting info on this for a LOOOOONG time and thought I'd tell you what I've found so far.

NVG has NO 4:1 kits that they recomend. None, NADA, don't even think about it. JB Conversions also STRONGLY suggests AGAINST a 4:1 kit. The kits available reequire machineing of the front of the case and the planatary that they use will not hold up to fullsize abuse. This is the info I've gotten over the last few days and I know you've been looking into this for a while.

HTH.

KP

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The new rubicon 241 case opens things up a bit but I don't know that we'll have that planetary available, or if it would even work in a RH drop t-case.
    I'd say Doubler it up or deal with a 2.7 low gear. With a TH700 and some deep axle gears just keeping the stock 241 low gear may be OK. You can probably run 4.88's pretty easy, depending on lots of stuff and your wife will think you installed another motor when she gasses it to show off her cool truck.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's the very thing I asked NVG about on Friday, and again today. The rocktrack case is completely different from the 241 we are used to. No parts compatability. You could run one in one of our trucks, if you went the Ford D60 route, but there are some issues with the tone wheel.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the 241 in the Rubicon Wrangler uses a planetary set that is much larger than in a standard 241. Not only is the case larger, but it is even cast using a different casting process to make it sturdier. One of the 4WD magazines recently did a story on this case and showed some side-by-side photos.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I kinda figured this idea was going down the crapper. I was tring to get info on it today and wound up with basically nothing after a few phone calls. I will not be running a 700r4. I'm swapping to a th400 so 4:88's are out. The Doubler is an option but not for her at least for the time being. I guess low gears for the trans and the stock 241 will have to do for now.