Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen: Doubler shifter linkage

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by NoRulz, Jul 7, 2001.

1. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Stephen, was wondering if you have anything for a shifter on the Ford doubler yet, or any suggestions from what other people have done. Thanks for the time

Matt

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

No specific shifter for them, but the Fords seem easier to work with since the shifter pivot boss is on the transmission adapter and you can put a longer bolt in there and run 2 levers side by side on it. In your case, you might want to look at doing a twin stick on it so you can use front wheel drive. Seems like we talked about this and your case was already back together, but you may want to twin stick it in anticipation of pulling the 205 to grind the rail for front wheel drive. It's nice for cutting tight corners. You might not need it as much as you used to, but if you're on a fun trail there's never enough room.
    The 203 shifts easy enough that you may want to consider a cable shifter or other method and use the pivot for 2 levers to run the 205.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD

3. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

I looked at it closely on the bench, & due to how little clearance there is between the rear shift rail & the doubler adapter, I decided against the twin stick. I did however purchase a ARB for the rear so I can still do steering brakes.
    I have to aplogize to you too Stephen, I was on the phone with you every other week about getting my doubler, buggin the hell outta you, & when I get it & tear the tranny/t-case out, next thing I know 1/2 the trucks tore apart, suspensions all on the floor, & everythings getting redone. She should be back out for her first run on the 20th though, but I'll be places the doubler will be used for nothing more than 2-low. Hey, I also saw in the last round of magazines a yellow Ford with a cool looking ORD Doubler sticker on the doors, you selling these? I think it'd look good on the side of my framerails :-)
    Thanks for all the time you've given me answering questions & just BSing again Stephen,

Matt

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

4. Stephen

I've been on both ends of the "get it to me quick" parts deal. I have stuff that I next day aired to me that never got used. Some of it's for competition spares, but some just never made it on the truck. I have owned my seats since about '98 and just put them in this spring! Too busy working on more important stuff than a place to park my ass. But they are nice to sit in now!
    As soon as I can get my computer woes under control, I'm going to sic a buddy on the stickers.
    That yellow F150 is pretty cool, I'm glad I got to see it work. did you notice the GM front axle?

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

5. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Right on, looking forward to the decals. I went back & looked at that Ford & did see the axle. What's he running? whole GM drivetrain? or just GM T-cases?
    We did figure out a shift linkage that'll work for now, don't know if it'll change in the future, but all looks ok right now... I'll get you off some good pics of the install in the supercab frame someday, I want to get the skidplate built first.

6. Stephen

The guy with the yellow F150 (Justin) had a D44 in it with the 42's and couldn't find a ford D60 to put in it, but had a GM 60 left over from another truck. We started talking about the Doubler and I found out he had the GM 60 and access to a GM 205, so he put the input gear out of a ford 205 in his GM 205 case, put the "c" bushing mounts on the GM axle and we built the Doubler to go from the ford 203 to the GM 205. Worked out well. It's all hooked behind a C6 and he's an avid auto convert now. His previous trucks had manuals in them, but with the Doubler and the auto, he's loving life now. He did make most everything he pointed it at in Moab when he was with us. Petersen's shot a feature on it, so hopefully they show the whole enchilada pretty soon.

SW-ORD

7. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Stephen, I have to say thank you, this past weekend let me put my first run on the doubler, & it's made a signifigant change in how she behaves. I'm sure me, & all the other Ford boys out there really appreciate you wandering off the GM path for a while to bring us this set up...
    I'll get some pics together for you & send them up soon

8. Stephen

Thanks, I'd like to see some pics, I know you guys get into some nasty stuff!

SW-ORD