Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen how can i keep my truck low

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by braunm, Oct 6, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I would like to put 38or 39 on my blazer and keep it low? I thought you would be the man to ask because you have 42 on your's. Any help would be great.

Thanks Mike

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Plan on lots of sheetmetal loss. Pete corsmitt (sp?) would be a good one to consult also, he has 39.5's on a worn rancho 4" I think.
    In my case, the link and coil suspension saved the day, leaf springs hit the cab with the amount of flex available. I did have to move the batteries, the inner fenders are gone, outer fenders are cut up about 1 1/2" (barely enough). The rear fender cut was really pretty easy. I moved the axle back 3" (almost too much with a 42", you might just go 2") and cut until they fit. The inner fenders in the bed worked out just fine, except for heavy contact on articulation with the inside panel. and that's mostly due to the narrower track width I'm running.

Keep in mind approach and departure angles are bad on a K5 with low lift. You'll want to build everything to fit as tight as you can, same with the rockers.

I'd consider dropping mine if it wasn't for the angles mentioned above. And I like having the bump travel available, and when the front diff bottoms out right up by the motor, ride height is the only way to get that room to run.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I was thinking of a 6" lift and a lot of cutting. How much flex will I get? Would I be better with 4" lift. I do not know how to go about this. Anybody's help would be great. What about custum inner fender's?

Thanks

Mike

5. braunm

braunm Registered Member

What kind of lift should I go for? As far as flex and ride quality? Soon I will have a custom bumper and a winch. It is all so a 6.2 diesel. Thanks for your help!!!

Mike

6. Stephen

It's getting to where a 6" and 38's is pretty tall. I'd say stick to around a 4" if you want it low. Really about any lift will work OK, we've had good luck with the Tuff Country springs in front with just a shackle flip in the rear. add all the rest of the goodies and you should be able to twist enough to get you through about anything.
    You will probably need a custom inner fender, there was no chance of keeping my inners. I know Steve Fox is losing more and more of his inners all the time, but the bulk of the liner is still in there. He may have some 38's on his soon with the 4" suspension and a 1" body.

SW-ORD

7. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

braunm-

I run 38.5x14.5 swampers with only 4" of lift with no lift with no rubbing, you just got to be willing to cut a little fender and yes my inner fenders is untouched. just pm if you have any particular Q's

350, sm465, NP205, 14ff w/detroit, yucky ten bolt 4" springs,38.5x14.5 swampers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg>http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg</a>

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have 4" lift and 36x14.5x15's WIth those I had to cut out quite a bit of fender and inner fender. I can still force the tires into the fenders on a realy nasty spot, but they just rub flat spots on the fenders now so no damage, just a weird sound. The rear will hit the inner side of the wheelwells with a nice GONG. I will be going to at least 38's when I finally go one ton and will tub the rear fenders in some by using another set of inner fenders. I am also planning on moving the front axle forward some and or moving my floor pans into the cab a little for front tire clearance. I have to keep what I have left of my front inner fenders because my on board air and welder are attached there, not to mention all the mud that is common on the trails we run.

Stephen you need to come down to tellico to play

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

9. Stephen

I'd like to come down sometime, but it's far enough away that it would have to be the trip of the year for me and I'm having a hard time hitting all the good spots close to home! I haven't even been to Farmington yet and it's only 7 hours away. But i'm slowly getting them all knocked off. It's hard to travel with so much good stuff in the back yard....
    boo hoo! :-)

SW-ORD