Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stephen, how do YOU cut splines

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by misfit, Sep 13, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

Jul 21, 2000
    please share some info. what type of cutter? do manufacturers usee different pitches/forms of splines? i know theyre rolled, but how does everyone cut them? i was thinking of making a form tool, but if something else is available id like to know
  2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    Most OEM stuff is rolled, and I know Superior axles are rolled. Most of the aftermarket is cut since there is way less equipment involved to do it.
    There are many different spline pressure angles, common GM stuff is 45 degrees, lots of Dana parts are 30 degrees and I'm sure there are more variations than that.
    The only spline operations I've been in on have been single point using a tool the shape of the tooth, and one using a rotary table on a mill with a cutter to match the spline angle.
    I know some of the bigger axle companies use some pretty specialized tooling to run splines, one in particular doesn't even let anyone in the room with the machine!
    Hope this helps, I know it's not much info, but there's a lot to it.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>
  3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Jan 2, 2001
    Stephen, any idea where I could find information on how to cut the internal splines (angles, critical dim's, etc) on 35 spline stub? I'm considering modifying my OE Spicer hubs for 35 spline but need to be get a drawing of the splines.

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd