Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stephen...how much would it be to..

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Chaz88K5, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

How much would it be to do the machine work needed to replace the input shaft on the 205...if i shipped mine to ya would you be able to do it...and what kind of time frame..or do ya have any 205 cases that i could just buy that are already machiened out...

2. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i just did this.
    a local machine shop charged me $35.00.
    just to give you a idea.

dave

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well in that case what exactly needs to be machined out and how much...i have access to a lathe i can use thats big enough...

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

it would be much easier in a vertical mill using and adjustable boring head . you will have to get the actual bearing you will be using and measure it with a micrometer and then bore the case to that measurement , or risk it like i am going to try and get a bearing that will fit both without being maching ,I have NOT tested this yet so i cannot say whethere the slightky thinner bearing is up to the task . i dont see why it wouldnt tho . -Andy

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

we have a bridgeport milling machine but another one of thos things i dont know how to use...and they guys there dont want to show me how to use it because they are afraid i will screw it up on the weekends /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif but i did work a deal with the guy that runs the CNC plazma cutter to show me how to run that...so disc brake brackets here i come /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

why no just buy em some beer and ask em to do it for ya ? we sumthin ..? thats kool i know how to run almost every machine in our BIG machine and welding shop but it no fun cuz i do that all day /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i just wish i knew how to run all the stuff...i could make some kick ass [censored] if i could...maybe i need to take a machine shop class or somthing... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The parts you need are available through ORD for $200. It includes a new input gear with the short 32 spline input, bearing, and gasket and seal set. You will need to completely tear down your 205 to machine the case. The bearing that the input shaft rides in is larger, there fore that is the "hole" that needs to be machined. If you do it yourself, you need to make sure you don't move the centerline of the input. If you carry it to a local machine shop like I did, I would make sure to remind them not to change the centerline. The new bearing needs to be a tight slip fit into the new hole. It is a failry simple process because there are no retainig clip grooves or ridges to have to worry about, just a clean hole. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What MR.CHEVY4X4 said! Find a competent machine shop and give them the case and correct bearing. It is a simple job to do.

As for the thinner bearing, I have 2 friends that have done it this way. Neither truck has had any problems with the different bearing, one of them is abused AND driven long distances. You can go to an industrial bearing parts house, like Motion Industries, to get the bearing. Give them the original bearing (for the outer diameter) and the new input shaft (for the bearing inner diameter) and ask them to help you find a bearing that will work.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We usually charge $70.00 assuming we get a CLEAN case to work on. If it's dirty it's usually $90.00. For that we do tap all the holes to make sure they're OK and check a couple places that sometimes crack and give it a general inspection. It's usually cheaper to find someone local, especially with the shipping cost for a 45# case.
    We've been trying to keep some exchange cases in stock but we're out at this point, we'd machine yours if you sent it.