Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*Stephen, please read* Departure angles with shackle flips

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatK30guy, Jun 23, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, since ORD has 2 different types of shackle flips for the 73-91 rigs, my question has to do with the ground clearance of the shackle flips.

If one were to plan for a 6" lift and want to use the ORD shackle flip, which would you recommend to gain ground clearance for the departure angles?

I would assume for the better angle, to use the 2.5" flip and 4" rear springs. And possibly the ORD 1" zero-rate kit.

Would the 4" flip lower the shackle so far as to lose that 'little bit' of ground clearance for the departure?

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thatK30guy on 06/25/01 08:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Departure angles with shackle flips

You're lifting the truck to put bigger tires on it. You're putting bigger tires on it to increase ground clearance. In the process, you're getting a better departure angle, no question. Will it be better with a 2.5" instead of a 4"? I don't know. But if you've got big enough tires, you might never need to know.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I have a add-on question to what K30 asking.

I would like to know, where does the rear spring eye end up, when viewed from the side and is there any adj. up or down on the bracket that mounts to the frame?

In my case, I installed 63" rear springs and moved the stock rear hanger back and down, after ALOT of trial and error. I think I have it set up perfectly. But now the hangers are low, they are about level with the curved part of the gas tank, so the departure angle is not afected, unless I get is twizted (like packing the LF would lower the RR hanger).

When viewed from the side, the spring eye is about one inch below the lower edge of the frame. I'm really rideing the fence on this, I like the tension shacles, but the hangers are just too low.

Thanks Stephen and Welcome back! Can't wait to see your smilin' mug on the TTC vidio!

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 06/23/01 03:40 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. thatK30guy

Eric, glad you understand exactly what I am talking about. Yeah, this is one thing I want to know whether you can get more clearance with the 2.5" and 4" springs or with the 4" and 2" springs. I know what you mean by looking sideways and seeing the curve of the gas tank, too. Guess this question is best left to Stephen. [​IMG]

I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

5. thatK30guy

To the top.

6. Re: Departure angles with shackle flips

hey wes,
    maybe this will help. i did a back yard departure angel test to see if mine got in the way. they didn't come close, but i have a receiver hitch that kinda hangs down low. even with out the receiver i don't think they'd get in the way. anyway, check the pic. mine is 4 inch lift with 35s.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/picture/p141ebe73a98f51fb5748a1b9a1acd60b/fe61974a.jpg>http://www.zing.com/picture/p141ebe73a98f51fb5748a1b9a1acd60b/fe61974a.jpg</A>

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

7. thatK30guy

Jason, THANK YOU!!! [​IMG]

I was waiting for someone to post something like that!!! You are the man!!! That picture was all I need to see!!! I agree with the hitch too. I was looking more at the angle where the tires and bumper hit, but your picture was PERFECT!!! [​IMG]

Again, THANK YOU!!! You made my day easier on the guessing!!! [​IMG]

8. Re: Departure angles with shackle flips

glad i could help. digital cameras rule! i also checked from the tire to the bumper using my 4 foot level but i was by myself and had no one to hold it there while i took a picture. anyway the shackles still cleared. i hate that my receiver is so low but i do tow with it and have one of those hooks that goes in there for yank strap recovery so i'll leave it. its welded on so i don't mind draging it from time to time. plus there are not a lot of rocks in my area. so, good luck on the shackle flip

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Perfect! Thanks from me too. Answerd my question too. Looks like its sixes for for the hangers -vs- flip thing. Thanks again Jason!

Twiztid

Just about where the white fence and the wood fence is where the lower hanger bolt is centered, and the hanger is level with the taper on the gas tank.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 06/29/01 05:20 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think you guys have pretty much hashed this out. I did occasionally hit the shackles on my 4" flip, but they also saved some major damage on the tank a couple of times when I dropped off of big ledges on too straight of an angle. Basically by the time you protect the stock gas tank, you've set your departure angle and the flip doesn't come close to limiting that, as seen by the pic in this post. I'll post a shot of my 63" springs and hangers on my "top truck" page on our site. I moved the shackle back about as far as it can go.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD