Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STEPHEN!!! pre-'85 and post '84 np205 t-cases *DELETED*

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatK30guy, Aug 19, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

STEPHEN!!! pre-\'85 and post \'84 np205 t-cases *DELETED*

Post deleted by thatK30guy

Guess this idea is not gonna work since no one replies as to if this idea would have worked or not. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Re: pre-\'85 and post \'84 np205 t-cases

Good question, Wes. As you know, I have a 32 spline long input shaft 205, so I'm definitely interested.

3. thatK30guy

I know I would be interested in a Doubler for these t-cases, too.

I have 3 of these long input shaft 205's here. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I only have 1 of the short input shaft 205. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

These shorter inputs are harder to find, IMO, and just about every salvage yard I call has the long input. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

This might sound like a dumb question but why not just change the input shaft to a short one ???

I reread your question, I thought they do make the doubler with the round chevy pattern also.

5. thatK30guy

Its like I said above....the short inputs are getting harder to find and no, I dont want to shell out so much $$$ for one either. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Where did you see that they make the Doubler for the long input 205's? I have not seen anything yet.

6. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Is there a round pattern short shaft & a round pattern long shaft t-case ? Maybe I'm thinking of the dodge doubler with the round pattern.

7. thatK30guy

Yep, the '85-'91 205's are a round pattern with a long input shaft.

8. thatK30guy

Re: STEPHEN!!! pre-\'85 and post \'84 np205 t-cases

Stephen, what do you think?

9. thatK30guy

Re: STEPHEN!!! pre-\'85 and post \'84 np205 t-cases *DELETED*

Well, I guess this idea is not gonna work since no one replied. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Not sure what your original question was since it's gone now but I'm assuming you're after a Doubler for the round pattern long input. Don't hold your breath on that exact application. We'd have to build an adapter about 3" longer and that's not possible the way we're building them now. The way to get what you're after is to replace the input with a short input, we sell the gear alone for $140 with a Doubler kit and it's a direct drop in replacement. Then we sell you a standard round pattern Doubler kit and you're done.

Length is critical for most of the applications we put Doublers in so we have eliminated all but the shortest and strongest kits.

Let me know if this isn't what you're after.

11. thatK30guy

Yep, that's what I'm looking for.

I find the '85-'91 np205's dang near everywhere I call when I'm searching for a pre-'85 np205. Seems like the older ones are getting more rarer, so the newer ones are popping up more and more now.

I can have a 3" spacer made no problem, but what is this round pattern Doubler you already have? I assume it's for the Ford or Dodge? If so, I can get one of these and have a spacer made to go ahead and use my current '86 205?

I understand completely about swapping the long input for the short one, too. Just a little harder to find these short inputs. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. Stephen

We actually build an adapter specifically for the round GM 205, with a swapped in short 32 spl. input gear. We do have ford and jeep versions adapters, but that's not really pertinent here.
    You can space it out to save the long input gear but I think you're going to cause more problems than it's worth. A spacer will have to cost a decent chunk, you'll need longer studs (or really good allthread), and you'll have more pieces and leverage over them. I think swapping in the short input gear and keeping it all short would be the way to do it. The gear is about a 1 hour drop-in, and you're ready to go.

13. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

My truck's an '85 w/205. Is there a serial number, or build date which will tell me for sure whether I have the long or short gear before I take it apart?

Eric

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge if you have a short adapter than you will have the long input gear along with the round pattern 205 . The short input was only used in the older figure eight adapter cases .
    These guys will know for sure if I am wrong .
    Tom

15. Stephen

Typically if you have the round pattern case, you have the long input gear, that's the easiest way to tell. I suppose there are some crossed up cases with short inputs and round patterns out there but the stock setup was round pattern = long input gear. You can check the bolt pattern on the front of the case externally so that should give you a good idea what you've got.

16. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Drat. 1-7-85, and it's round pattern.
    Nothing worse to do than a shaft change? The trans/case spacer is about 4 inches long.
    WTF did they change this for?

Eric

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    We actually build an adapter specifically for the round GM 205, with a swapped in short 32 spl. input gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I dont think you are going to be able to buy a one off 3" adapter and related hardware for less than the $140 short 32 spline input gear that ORD sells. The long 32 spline input gear uses the same bearing as the short 32 spline input gear making it a drop in swap with no machining of the case if I am reading this correctly.

18. Stephen

OK, the short input is a direct swap for the long input, no machine work, no changing bearings, nothing, you'll need a couple of gaskets and the gear, that's all.

We rank the desirability of a 205 for the Doubler like this:
    #1: Pre-85 fig8 pattern short input gear (factory TH400 version) - no parts swapping cost at all
    #2: '85 and newer round pattern with long input (factory TH400 or SM465 version) - Swap cost is a new input gear and a little time to swap the gears.
    #3: 10 spline or 27 spline NP205 - swap cost is input conversion ($200) + machine cost, plus time to completely disassemble the case and put it together.

Why did they do this? I think it was to make the 205 interchange behind the TH400 without having to have 2 different output shafts in the 400. Also, the same 205 works behind the SM465 from that era using the same output shaft in the SM465 as a NP208 would use. Basically it streamlined the transmission and transfer case ordering, assembly and inventory. I wish they'd gone to a round pattern from the start, it's a good bit easier to deal with in just about every way.