Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen...question about your Blazer

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Scorpion, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I've been looking at your suspension on the K5 and for the life of me I can't tell what type it is...are you using a 4 link? What is the advantage of having the steering go to the lever mounted on the frame on the driverside and then back to the knuckle, does it improve the turning force or was that done because of how short the drag link would have been?

I've only seen your Blazer perform on the Top Truck Challenge video and I can describe it with one word...WOW! On a side note, keep us informed as to when you will be offering front bumpers as a product!

Thanks for your time,

Matt

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The front susp. is has 3 leading links, 2 below the axle on each side and one above the tube toward the middle. Then it's located from side to side by a panhard bar or "track bar". So technically it's a 4 link but common terminology only counts the leading links which would make it a 3 link.
    The steering box had to move because it occupied space the tire needed outside the frame rail and it would have been major surgery to put it in a more conventional location inside the frame rail so I went with the idler to keep the draglink as long as possible and it also allows the steering box to be mounted wherever I wanted. And if I do need to change the pitman arm, steering arm, or other stuff I can modify the idler to keep all the ratios right.
    Another bonus is that it lets the draglink rotate around the heim joint which is the direction they move best.
    The only way to improve turning force is to screw up the ratio which means you won't get full lock turns, or add pressure using a ram or increase the force on the pitman arm. The most practical solution so far has been the RockRam setup.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, ur steering is off the hook Stephen... still can't believe how well u did in the TTC turn radius thing... how the heck did you beat one of the jeeps? lol!

J

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well i don't know if he did it in the test but, his 205 is twinsticked so he can select front wheel drive only , add to that the cutting brakes, and i would imagine, you could crank the wheel to lock an just pivot around that rear tire. Thats some sick turning radius. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, good point, I didnt even think about that. The old front WD pivot move. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The toyota at that particular TTC got last place... wonder if he had a front locker or something. you'd think a lil Toy would do pretty good at that...

J

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I left the front diff open, put it in front wheel drive and pulled it around. I was able to put a little drag on the one brake but not huge, I had a little air in there so I couldn't really hook it in hard. I've been using the cutting brakes a good bit on the trail, they're pretty handy with a body that's too big in tight stuff. I'd say they're essential for any kind of competition.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

can you mail me some pictures of your front suspension and stering? i am very curious as to how you have it setup.
    chevyblazer74@earthlink.net
    thanks for your time, Grant Bourne

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status