Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen - question about your fuel cell

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mudzer, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think I remember you talking a while back about using a circle track fuel cell with some modifications. I have the same unit, but want to find out how you routed your supply line and return line for fuel injection. I thought I heard you say you used a fuel bulkhead in the front of the tank, with a weighted pickup in the tank reaching nearly to the back of the tank. Also, should I run the return line inside down near the bottom of the tank? Do you run fuel and a roll over valve?

Thanks for the help Stephen and have Happy Holidays - also, I will mail your banner tomorrow.

Thanks,

Neil

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since Stephen and I are running the same type of setup I am jumping in here.

We used a bulkhead fitting on the front right side of the tank as close to the bottom of the tank as we could get them. I belive I mounted mine on the front side and Stephen did his on the right side. No real reason other than fit with the chasis. Inside the tank run a pickup line to the back "middle" of the tank. We vacumed all of the shavings and junk out from drilling the hole and reinstalled the foam to hold the pickup tube towards the back and in the middle of the tank.

We then ran the fuel return to the supplied fuel pick up point. When you have the foam out to drill the bulkhead hole remove the supplied tube extension. We are just letting the return fuel dump in the top of the tank with no tube to "guide" it.

We then used the role over vent as the vent and just routed the hose in a couple of large loops to keep it from spilling fuel in case of a role over.

So far all of this seems to work well. We have both been on our sides a few times and not had fuel leakage issues. Stephen has had some problems with the lid sealing at times. I think its just the gasket.

The last little peice of advice is to start every day full of fuel. We have had instances of running out of gas with six or more gal. left in the tank. The large flat bottom needs a bunch of fuel to keep the pickup covered at all times.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There you have it.
    our cells are 22 gal. His lasts longer with his small block than mine with the big block. He's considered going with a 16 gal. I like mine despite the fact I rarely burn more than 10 gal on a long trail ride. It's nice to not have to think about it at the end of the day, especially with the big block.
    I've had to winch over several spots in Upper Helldorado due to running out of gas. Finally I just started moving the pickup in the tank to follow the fuel and it got me home but it still sucked. literally.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Do either of you have a closeup pic of how you mounted this fuel cell with canister? Trying to decide how I will mount mine in the frame. Email or PM if you can - I REALLY appreciate all of the help.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We're basically using an angle iron framework around the bottom with strap hold downs. I don't think I have any pics but it's fairly simple:
    the frame work is really simple angle iron work
    the hold downs are a steel strap running across the tank with a thru bolt on each end. The thru bolt screws into a piece of tubing that runs to the cage work at the bottom of the cell. My thru bolts actually replace 4 of the lid bolts on the steel can to keep the hold downs closer to the cell body.