Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen - the K5 and Supercrawl...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Emmettology 101, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Other than the roll how did you guys do? I haven't really seen anyone ask.

Do you think the size of the K5 limited your progress or hindered you in anyway?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, we rolled on the 1st run of the first day so we didn't run any more obstacles that day, that took care of 9,10, and 1,2,3. I also put it on the side on #4 the next day. #5 was more our style, tight twisted weaving around cones and I think we came through with 12 points or so. #6 I didn't climb, tried for the full time but to be honest, I was a little rattled still so I didn't push it really hard. That is where I shifted to the 2:1 gear and noticed a climbing improvement, then on #7 the truck worked great climbing but the rear kicked over on the first climb and hit 2 cones, so we took 20 points there on a pretty easy stage.
    # 8 had some really tight twisties at the top and I hit a cone there due to width, then we wiped out a cone on the really steep down hill just being conservative (trying not to go over the front), and my spotter hit a cone with the rope when he tumbled down the hill. So after going up the climb and hitting a cone we pointed out.

I think the width and length did hurt our weaving ability, and apparently didn't add enough stability to really help out. I think experience in that terrain and a little different vehicle setup would be the biggest improvements we could make for that event. Also, losing some weight would go a long way, putting in a small block, running some 37's instead of the 42's, and getting rid of some misc. stuff like the heater all would help. There's also some extra tube since it's been built several times. Overall I could probably chop over 300# that's relatively high and that always helps. Ride height could be lowered some more also, either by the smaller tires or by actually dropping the suspension again.

But it's not really a dedicated competition rig.

As a recreational crawler, my K5 kicks butt, we did Die Tryin' without any real difficulty, and while that's not the end all trail, I can tell from the performance increase I felt, it's going to be good all around. Clearance is awesome, everything is armored, it climbs really well, etc.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Have you considered building a competition vehicle?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I have thought about it, one condsideration has been doing a stock type K5 to run in the Legend class of UROC, but I don't know what limitations they have in the rules now. At this point we're a little busy to be building yet another vehicle so it'll be another year or so before we can seriously look at it. I'll probably do a couple of comps this year in my K5 and my brother may do some in his buggy, and Beck wants to try some in his K5 buggy, so we probably won't be left totally out but I don't plan to run a full season for sure.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you should do the calrocs/narrca comp at avalanche ranch...i am spose to be judging that one