Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen - thoughts on clocking NP203 range box for Doubler

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mudzer, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Stephen,

Did you gain a bunch of clearance when you clocked your NP203 sideways? Just curious on your thoughts. Several people have asked questions about clocking transfercases, and I was curious how much clearance you gained.

Thanks,

Neil

2. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

just wanted to add to this...have you considered making an adaptor that would clock the 203 upside down and the 205 to the side?

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Twisting the 203 90 degrees gained about 3.5" of clearance, give or take some. The lowest point on the 203 actually ends up being the corner by the PTO cover so it's a bit misleading. My clearance problem point is the NP205, the bottom of the 203 is a good bit higher than the bottom of the 205 due to the downward angle of the drivetrain in the chassis and the shape of the boxes.

The bottom of the 203 in the factory orientation is about 8.5" below the shaft centerline and since my TH700 shaft CL is about 6 to 6.5" above the frame rails, a standard rotation 203 won't hang down too much at all. You'll probably end up with about 2.5" of t-case below the frame rails and it can all be skid plated pretty easy. I think the most efficient way to do this is get the standard Doubler kit with the 205 turned up 2" and run high clearance crossmembers and a good skidplate. Minimal hassle, it all fits under the floor, easy to deal with, etc. And most K5's with anything close to a factory size body are going to have clearance problems in places other than the belly in most situations.

We've looked at turning the 203 totally upside down and there's not really a reason why we can't do it. We would likely need to start with a bigger piece of aluminum so there might be some extra charge for that but it can be done. There's just not a lot of guys that want the 203 sticking up in the floor. I can also see where the shifter seals (o-rings) would have to be in good shape to keep it from oozing too.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, Stephen I agree on the O-ring issue. My truck leaks every fluid and should be named Haz-mat. So, the last thing I need is more maintenance. I noticed pictures on your Hybrid section where you built a Doubler with the NP203 flat and NP205 flat (first pic from top) and I wondered if this person ever experienced problems with the seal leaking with shifter on the bottom.

Thanks again for your input - your products are looking better and better all the time! Keep up the good work.