Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen-what can I do with 10 bolts?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by braunm, Sep 4, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

What can I do to my 10 bolt's too make them handle 35" bfg? I was thinking of a custum over axle truss and your axle shaft's. Other than that what else can I do to them?

Thanks
    Mike

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If they're open, leave them alone unless you're rock crawling or something, I've seen even 10 bolt rears hold up quite a while with 38" tires.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

For the rear, you need a carrier replacement locker, like a Detroit, good 30 spline axle shafts, and reasonable driving habits. It can live a happy life, but you're not going to be able to pound on it too hard. The front will take a lot more than the rear, the stock axle shafts stand up pretty well, and the chromo axles help out in durability. You can get away with a drop-in locker for the front, or a good limited slip. I'd consider a truss if you plan to drive the truck hard and fast, but under more normal use, you should be OK with just the housing alone.

Before you drop a lot of money on the 10 bolt rear, you should consider a new axle altogether. A 12 bolt isn't a bad place to start, if you plan to stick with 35's. If you ever want to go bigger, a semi float 6 lug 14 bolt, or an 8 lug swap and 3/4T axles might be wise.

I've considered using a 10 bolt 30 spline rear for a buggy or something light weight, so they're not all bad, you just have to keep in mind they have some limitations if you drive them hard.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. Stephen

I guess Tim brings up another point, where and how you wheel makes huge difference. If you drive somewhere with traction, you need to beef stuff up to handle it. I've seen a 28 spline rear high strength alloy axle shaft snap pretty easily, in a place that's not too pleasant to fix it. That's with 36's on it. The farther you go from civilization, the lower your tolerance for breakage needs to be.
    If you only play in midwest mud a few miles from town and have a corn fed 10 bolt, I'd still say beef it up and enjoy a little margin for error.
    One thing to consider also is the larger brakes that come standard on 3/4T axles. If you're going to be towing, the larger brakes could be nice to have, and even if you aren't, it's hard to have brakes that are too good in these days of hondas that think they need to drive 5 feet in front of you.

SW-ORD

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I've seen a 28 spline rear high strength alloy axle shaft snap pretty easily, in a place that's not too pleasant to fix it.

<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm, Ken (WhiteWhomper), 1987 K5, EJS 2001, pritchard Canyon, fair amount of skinny pedal. Am I right? [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Posted by Tim on 08/27/01 @ 07:23 PM:

"I know the 10 bolt rears are junk. Mine shot parts too. It had 2.73 gears (not a typo) and 31" tires.

I also destroyed a 12 bolt rear with 3.08s."

Tim, you've stated many times that you only do mud, and no rockcrawling whatsoever, so how on earth did you manage to blow your rear with only 31" tires when they "hold up quite well with 38" tires"?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

LOL![​IMG]

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

NIIIICCCEEE!!!!

you beat me to it [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I read that without looking and thought Rene (tRustyK5) wrote it......still too funny man [​IMG].

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

10. Stephen

I don't think anyone's going to convince us that a 10 bolt is a great axle for heavy wheeling, but they can take a decent amount of pounding if you build them right. One problem is that by the time you build them right, you could have built something a little bigger right and had some margin for error.
    I've got a friend that pounded a D44 in the back of a J10 pretty hard with a nice 401cid and only had to replace one ring and pinion, but the rest of it held up OK. From what I remember, the gearset was worn and making noise, not broken. But still, moderation is the key.

SW-ORD

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

As far as 10-bolt front axles go, I'd advise to forgo putting a locker or really even a LSD in there. Keep it open and it will live longer with bigger tires. My plan is to run 37's on my open 10-bolt front for the mud and trails.
    If you really have the need for a locker up front, you're probably rockcrawling and you'll be better off going d60. Of course, so would everyone else in the world. That's why Boyce wants 5 large for one.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

12. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I think the reason for suggesting the locker or limited slip is just so that there in a much stronger carrier than the stock one in the housing. But I have been wrong before. [​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

13. Stephen

Yeah, I guess the more accurate way to do this is to not assume that everyone wants a locker (why did they even invent open diffs?) and say that if you do get a locker, use a carrier replacement type. Or get a lunchbox locker and plan on replacing it in the near future.

SW-ORD

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm glad someone started this thread...I am running f/r 10 bolts right now on my '85 Jimmy. I have chromoly axels f/r, 4.56, warn premium hubs f/r, trutracs f/r, and a warn full floater in the rear. I have 35s right now. I am getting a ff14b for the rear...so that end will be taken care of. I dunno about the front. It will be a while before I have the $$$ to get the everyone-wants-one built D60...so some good ideas on how to beef the 10 are always appreciated. Right now, all I have planned is to get a bolt on truss for it. The final-end-game-plan is to run 39.5s (after I get that 60, heh)....but until then, any tips of beef that front 10 would be *greatly* appreciated!

BTW Stephen, awesome pics in Fourwheeler, can't wait for next months issue where we actually get to see your fat Jimmy in action. =) I was page flipping through that issue and learned that the guy with the uber 72 Burb lives right here in my home town. Might have to track him down, that was one awesome rig! =) I think it rocks that Chevy/GM trucks rocked at Top Truck, always something fun to mention to snooty jeep fans. =p

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

15. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When i bought my 14ff i also got a 10 b that had been converted to 8 lug and has warn hubs so i sold the rear and put the original 10 b front in the back yard for a back up.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

16. braunm

braunm Registered Member

How does a 10-bolt do with 38"? I thought the it would fold with that size? I forgot to say I live in Jersey so I will be seeing mud. In the spring I will be going to colorado. Im having a hard time finding a 14sf. Anybody on here have one to sell?

Thanks again
    Mike

17. Stephen

I can't recommend a 10 bolt rear for anything over 35-36" tires, at least not in a K5. Even with alloy 30 spl shafts, or a full floater kit, it's a smallish diff and ring gear. There are some that have made them live with larger tires, but for durability, it's hard to not go larger. I ran a 12 bolt with 37's and think that would make an acceptable combo, as long as it's paired with a 1/2T front axle to break before you can get really hard on it. The 12 bolt carrier is noticibly bigger.
    For 38's, I have to say get a 3/4T axle setup, either a semi-float or FF 14 bolt. You may be able to get into a D60 rear from a ford or dodge also. There are good and bad D60's, but having the bigger diff and ring gear on a FF axle is good.

There's not much to do with the 10 bolt front. Get good axle shafts and ujoints, change the joints often to keep them fresh, and drive like you have a 297 joint in the front axle, GENTLE.

Remember, a well built axle won't spontaneously explode when you lock the hubs, you can make it work for a while if you're careful. But if you use it hard, you're going to allocate some cash to get a D60.

SW-ORD