Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stephen, what does it take to swap a 468 in a Jimmy?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Bullet, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

The title says it all...Alright, I have a friend who has a 454 bored .30 over longblock for a great price, but I'd have to convert it to fuel injection. From the description of it, it sounds like the monster would produce 450hp easy. So my question is what would i have to do to swap it in, and how much would it all cost, I am also gonna rebuild the tranny when i do this. Also, which fuel injection system would be the best? I also need y'alls thoughts on ignition systems and headers. Thanks for all the help

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the 468 will bolt right up. you will want a super-duty TH700 (SW has an Art Carr) you obviously need everything that goes on a BB. shorty headers will work best to keep the exhaust up, an HEI is best (IMHO) as it is very simple and almost idiot proof (that's good for me/forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

Edlebrock makes stand alone systems that will work with that power rating. a 454 TBI *could* be recurved to stand up to the 468.

just my two bits...

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

zak's pretty much right on, it's a bolt in arrangement, just bolting into a K5 not a 1-ton truck.
    It's all pretty straight forward.
    I would recommend HEI of some sort, TBI can handle it with the right parts but it probably won't be close to a stock system. The edlebrock system is my choice and can handle it easily.
    I'm not sure what's out there for headers, we used JBA shorties from a vortec truck but we had some frame mods to do it. Shorties from a SS454 looked like they would work in the stock frame but have 1 5/8" tubes and we got 1 7/8" tubes from the vortec.