Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stepping out of the broomcloset

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wow... I could ever be so lucky. After hiding in the proverbial closet for years now, I finally started taking a step out. Had a nice long conversation with my girlfriend and told her I was Wiccan. She didn't even bat an eyelash.

"I could honestly care less about someone's religion. That isnt what builds the relationship. I dont really know what I believe other than that there is a higher power above us."

Her exact words.

I cried, I was fearing this day for so long.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

burn him at the stake!!!

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Well, I thought it was the "other" closet! :haha:

What were you so worried about?

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You're lucky I have a good sense of humor ;)

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

lucky how?

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, I honestly don't know. I didn't know how much of her parents' judgemental single-mindedness had been impressed upon her.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Could have taken it the wrong way and gotten all offended-like :shrug:

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

He could have just hexed you dood...:haha: :haha:

Sorry jagged, but I suspect you'll need your sense of haha for a while now.

Rene

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh hell, the hex was something i had not considered :D

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

:D

It's all good, I was just trying to share a bit; and also a little selfish and try to get some support/encouragement. I don't know how many of you have been in a situation like this before (and I'm not about to start the "You don't know what it's like..." BS), but just talking with one person was tough. I still need to try to get through some judgemental parents and friends.

I just don't feel the need to hide myself from people that are close to me. My friends and family should know me for who I really am, not a facade I put up to get along (although, I may have to still with some family).

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe it's just a bigger deal to you than to most everyone else? Really, I can think of many worse things to be 'in the closet' about...

Rene

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

True, but some people get funny when it comes to choice of religion. I think I just got myself really worked up about it, but you never really know how some people will react. Growing up in a Christian (Cathollic and Methodist) family, and Heather's parents are both Adventists, I really didn't know what to expect out of her. In hindsight, it was no big deal; but hindsight is always 20/20.

I guess you could say I was "in a closet" for fear of being judged/ridiculed by people who were close to me.

13. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my dogtags say agnostic.

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It doesn't matter to me what religion anyone chooses... as long as they aren't trying to kill me.

15. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

So Muslims are on the NO likey list?? :D

Don't wicans worship the earth or something? Like stated above, it doesn't matter to me either. I think your religion just has a bad rep as being the Satanic cult or something.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, time for a quick WTH on being Wician. I have always wondered, and as has now been mentioned or implied, there are some negative ideas floating out there. If you don't mind, give me the readers digest version.

I also think (for no reason that I can remember) that Adventests were fairly strict in their belief. That sounds like it would make for a scary conversation. :eek1:

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wicca (sometimes called Wicce, The Craft, or The Old Religion by its practitioners) is an ancient religion of love for life and nature.

In prehistoric times, people respected the great forces of Nature and celebrated the cycles of the seasons and the moon. They saw divinity in the sun and moon, in the Earth herself, and in all life. The creative energies of the universe were personified: feminine and masculine principles became Goddesses and Gods. These were not semi-abstract, superhuman figures set apart from Nature: they were embodied in earth and sky, women and men, and even plants and animals.

This viewpoint is still central to present-day Wicca. To most Wiccans, everything in Nature - and all Goddesses and Gods - are true aspects of Diety. The aspects most often celebrated in the Craft, however, are the Triple Goddess of the Moon (Maiden, Mother and Crone) and the Horned God of the wilds. These have many names
    in various cultures.

Wicca had its organized beginnings in Paleolithic times, co-existed with other Pagan ("country") religions in Europe, and had a profound influence on early Christianity. But in the medieval period, tremendous persecution was directed against the Nature religions by the Roman Church. Over a span of 300 years, millions of men and women and many children were hanged, drowned or burned as accused Witches. The Church indicted them for black magic and Satan worship, though in fact these were never a part of the Old Religion.

The Wiccan faith went underground, to be practiced in small, secret groups called "covens" For the most part, it stayed hidden until very recent times. Now scholars such as Margaret Murray and Gerald Gardner have shed some light on the origins of the Craft, and new attitudes of religious freedom have allowed covens in some areas to risk becoming more open.

How do Wiccan folks practice their faith today? There is no central authority or doctrine, and individual covens vary a great deal. But most meet to celebrate on nights of the Full Moon, and at eight great festivals, or Sabbats thoughout the year.

Though some practice alone or with only their families, many Wiccans are organized into covens of three to thirteen members. Some are led by a High Priestess or Priest, many by a Priestess/Priest team; others rotate or share leadership. Some covens are highly structured and hierarchical while others may be informal and egalitarian. Often extensive training is required before initiation, and coven membership is considered an important commitment.

There are many branches or "traditions" of Wicca in the United States and elsewhere, such as theGardnerian, Alexandrian, Welsh Traditional, Dianic, Faery, Seax-Wicca and others. All adhereto a code of ethics. None engage in the disreputable practices of some modern "cults", suchas isolating and brainwashing impressionable lonely young people. Genuine Wiccans welcome sisters and brothers, but not disciples, followers or victims.

Coven meetings include ritual, celebration and magick (the 'k' is to distinguish it from stage illusions.) Wiccan magick is not at all like the instant 'special effects' of cartoon shows or fantasy novels, nor medieval demonology; it operates in harmony with natural laws and is usually less spectacular - though effective. Various techniques are used to heal people and animals, seek guidance, or improve members' lives in specific ways. Positive goals are sought, cursing and evil spells' are repugnant to practitioners of the Old Religion.

Wiccans tend to be strong supporters of environmental protection, equal rights, global peace and religious freedom, and sometimes magick is used toward such goals.

Wiccan beliefs do not include Judeao-Christian concepts as original sin, vicarious atonement, divine judgement or bodily resurrection. Craft folk believe in a beneficient universe, the laws of karma and reincarnation, and divinity inherent in every human being and all of Nature. Yet laughter and pleasure are part of their spiritual tradition, and they enjoy singing, dancing, feasting and love.

Wiccans tend to be individualists, and have no central holy book, prophet, or church authority. They draw inspiration and insight from science, and personal experience. Each practitioner keeps a personal book or journal in which s/he records magickal 'recipes', dreams, invocations, songs, poetry and so on.

To most of the Craft, every religion has its own valuable perspective on the nature of Deity and humanity's relationship to it; there is no One True Faith. Rather, religious diversity is necessary in a world of diverse societies and individuals. Because of this belief, Wiccan groups do not activelyrecruit or proselytize; there is an assumption that people who can benefit from the Wiccan way will 'find their way home' when the time is right.

--- Originally written by Amber K

That article does a decent job of putting everything in a nutshell.

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my ex-wife was heavily into it...

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Interesting. The article does a sood job of laying it out. I alswys wondered what it was all about. Looks like it shares traits/beliefs of many religions, both Eastern and older Western.

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Welcome brother. I believe and practice my Choctaw and Cherokee ancestors teachings. Wiccan is almost identical, except the names of the deities are different. If people would do the research, they would find many "Christian" symbols and beliefs are taken from earlier religions, they are all connected.