Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steps involved in removing gas tank.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Apr 1, 2002.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Ok, Ready for some lifting action on the blazer.....ORD flip out back, How do you remove the tank? I know how to undo the straps from the rear, what do I have to disconnect as far as the filler hose and sending unit stuff?? Anything in particular to watch out for? Thanks.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Filler neck: there is a hose clamp that holds it to the body and a hose clamp holding the rubber hose to the metal filler, re move both, there is also a vent line there too that needs to be removed.
    fuel line: there is a vent line and a fuel line running along the frame rail on the passenger side, there should be eithger squeeze clamps or hose clamps there on those two lines, remove them both.
    then place a jack under the tank and remove the two starps, then lower it down.

And the less gas the better, these things aren't fun to move,LOL.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

First I ran a 3/8 NC die down the threaded part of the straps to clean the threads a bit before trying to undo them. It worked very well as my strap bolts never broke. I used a large crescent wrench to keep the strap from twisting also.

Once the straps were unbolted I lowered the tank a little until I could see and access the lines on the top of the tank. The only hard part was trying to undo the little clamps in such and awkward place. I tagged the lines so I could put them all back where they belong. The filler neck I just unclamped close to the tank...

Rene

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

It doesnt say your FI in your profile and your page says '86, but if your FI you need to remove your ground and power connector from the drivers side. Also that rear valance that covers the gap between the bumper and body needs to be removed to get to the strap bolts. I had squeeze style clamps on my hoses, mines an 88 though.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

cool guys. Yes i have an 86, no FI till 87 tho. Im stuck with this damn electric q-jet piece of ......

Thanks for the quick reply's i think i am going to replace the straps anyway, i get them cheap at work. i should be starting this junk tomorrow morning, ill post pics when im done.

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah thats why i only put 3 gallons in this morning, enuff to get to school and back, should be pretty empty tomorrow morning.