Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steps on pulling out a 208 T-Case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Jun 5, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I need to get my t-case rebuilt on my 84 K5,so I need to pull the t-case Saturday.What are the steps on pulling out a 208 transfer case? Any special tools,or things I need to be careful about?

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine and I did this not too long ago. Took us about 3-4 hours to pull the tcase, split the halves, clean the surfaces, reseal it with RTV, and remount it. And that was in the rain.

0. support tcase with floor jack or tranny jack
    1. remove rear driveshaft
    2. disconnect supporting rods that connect to the bellhousing/tranny/whatever
    3. remove bolts connecting tcase to adapter for tranny (I think there are 6 bolts)
    4. back tcase away from adapter and lower

That's all there is to it!

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Nothing to it, just remember to drain the fluid first. Then just remove the clip that retains the shift linkage and slide it out, unplug the wiring conector on the top, remove the driveshafts, remove the two large bolts that hold on the support arm, and finally remove the bolts that mount it to the adapter. Piece of cake!

Mike

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'll agree wiith those answers. Just also be aware that there is sometimes fluid between the adapter and the t-case. It only had to douse me once. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Thanks for the info my friends.. I will start the project Friday night,and finish it by Saturday (with some help from DuneRunner) Thanks agian!

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have the t-case supported well when you back it off and put it back onto the back of the transmission it helps to have a friend over. I dropped my 208 on my elbow! Still hurts every now and then