Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steps to putting rig in 4 wheel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Jan 20, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

I've read a bunch of posts of how people's auto hubs sound like ratchets and break on them or whatever, i just recently got my 4wheel 86 with auto hubs and wondering what the steps are to engage/disengage properly? I'fe heard put your normal tranny in neutral then put the 2H into 4H.. also heard you can't put it in OD when the 4H is on? you put it in Drive then to 4H to engage then to disengage you fully stop and put the 4H in 2H and back up about 10 feet to unlock the hubs? how fast can you go in 4H? 4L? and what's the Neutral for? thanks, and don't laugh i'm just a Rook when it comes to 4 wheelin.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

OK, with auto hubs:
    When you want to switch into 4H, just yank the lever back. The truck can be in drive. In fact, with my truck (np241 t-case) I find it easier to engage 4H when I'm rolling at idle speed in drive. When you want to get out of 4H and back into 2H, just push up on the lever, and like you said...back up a good 10-15 feet. Here's what I sometimes do...if I'm pulling off a sidestreet that's snow-covered and I'm in 4H, I'll get out into the plowed road with 4H on and then, when I get on the cleaner road, I'll let off the gas, push the selector to 2H and then accelerate up to speed. Yes your hubs will still be locked in, but there's no harm in that.
    Now, in 4H, you can run in any gear you want. And, you'll be going normal speeds. Say if you wanted to go 65 mph in 4 wheel drive, just go.....I highly don't recommend doing that, but if you want to, go for it. Also, think of it this way: If you're using 4 wheel drive, should you really be going over 45-55 mph?
    OK, 4lo:
    Shift transmission to neutral, then pull the t-case into 4Lo. The top recommended speed for 4lo is 35 mph. At that speed in 4lo, your transmission will most likely be in overdrive. So, again ask yourself, why am I using 4lo (a pulling/crawling gear) to go 35mph?
    Neutral is used in flat-towing.

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

every thing is described in the owners manual but i would dump the auto lockers they will give you nothing but trouble if they even work if you want to check put the rig in 4low and try to drive if the truck wants to do nothing but go straight then they are working

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

thanks, my truck didn't come with a manual, i got a chiltons but it didn't say anything about the steps to put it in 4wheel, so i can drive 65 in 4H but why wouldn't you reccomend it? it said in the chiltons manual to put it in 4H atleast once a month to keep the transfer case lubed.. so i put it in 4H and drive to work today, at 65mph.. could i wreck my hubs that way?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Don't drive on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The traction causes excessive amounts of driveline binding which can lead to busted parts.
    Yes, theorhetically, you can drive that fast because your transfer case is not providing any gear reduction in 4H. But, why not drive that fast: because the front driveline parts and stuff inside the transfer case are spinning so fast, it's leading to excessive wear/can give some wicked vibrations. Also, it's extra stuff for the engine to be turning.

6. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif oops.. crap! so when i'm driving to the mountians, wait until i'm on snow or ice to put it in 4 wheel?

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Right. Or at least wet pavement....but even then, I wouldn't drive at high speeds/for a long time. Less than a mile will allow for the t-case and differential to throw around enough fluid for proper "monthly" lubrication.