Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo, dome light, and cigarette lighter problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Oct 30, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I used the someone's cigarette lighter in mine tonight, and I saw a spark from under the dash and my cigarette lighter, dome light, and stereo stopped working /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
    I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and the fuse behind the stereo. I could only see one though.

Anyone know what else I could check? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just had a simaler prob with the wifes mercedes , replace all the fawkin fuses anyhow.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You checked all the fuses...
    What method did you check all the fuses?
    Visually looking at them doesn't cut it sometimes.
    Use a test light (or a voltmeter will work) and probe both sides of all the fuses. you should get power on both sides of all of em. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds like it's a fuse for power when the key is off, so you might wanna check if theres fuses up by the battery?

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks all! I'll check all the fuses again and properly. I think you might be right, Ryan. When I closed the door and key is off, I can hear a clicking and the light under the dash blinks slightly.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dude did you check your door switches, when they rust they will cause a short.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Check all the fuses I had the same exact problem in my 91 and like someone just said get a test light and check them all. There is one fuse that ties all of these together. I pulled my dash apart and everything and it was the stupid little fuse in the fuse box.

7. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I agree with the fuse thing, they are all connected. Had that problem when some loose change fell into the lighter.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I had this problem too.. the cigarette lighter (even though nothing was plugged in) kept blowing my fuses. The radio fuse is what would blow, causing the dome light and cigarette lighter not to work. I finally just cut the cable going to the cigaratte lighter and replaced the radio fuse and I've never had a problem since. 1 1/2 years ago btw. I'm going to reconnect the cigarette lighter but I plan on rewiring it so it doesn't interfere with the stereo.