Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo draining my battery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It seems that my battery runs down if I don't fire the truck up at least every week or two. I'm wondering if it's related to my stereo install. When I did it, I was under the influence of some stereo-philes who suggested I run all the power direct from the battery (not keyed). So I can run the stereo with the key off... thing is, I wonder if there's extra current being drawn while the truck sits around? I tried pulling the fuse and sticking my amp-meter across it with everything off. It said 0.01 amps. I'm not sure if I trust the measurement, but would that be enough to cause trouble? Any opinions out there?

I'd hate to rewire this thing. Getting access behind the stereo is torture on these vehicles! :doah:

2. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

my stereo is connected directly to the battery it has a red LED light that stays on all the time and the battery will last for a few weeks that i know of.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

either something drawing power, or as i found out, i had a bad cell in my battery, would not hold power for more than two days.

bought a new one, been workin fine ever since. :D

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I have wired my stereo like yours and If I leave the face plate attached it will discharge the battery. If I had run the wires correctly, I could just turn the ignition switch to the accessory position to run the stereo. :doah: I'm sure I'll get around to it in the next couple of weeks... :wink1: