Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo Guru's- Stereo wiring help..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Aug 16, 2001.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Stereo Guru\'s- Stereo wiring help..

I posted this in the Audio section. .but not sure it'll get any exposure there.. does anyone know or have a diagram?
    Thanks..

Does anyone know what the GM standard stereo wires are? I need a wiring diagram to hook up my Kenwood stereo.. but the harness doesn't match the one that came with my stereo.. and I misplaced my manual...
    Thanks for any help..

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

Re: Stereo Guru\'s- Stereo wiring help..

I wish you lived around here... I can hook it up in 5 mins... you just got to try... find two power lines and a ground...one is 12V all the time... and the other is 12V when the ignition is on... then find the speakers... real simple if you make it... and solder, solder,solder... dont crimp... you will be asking for problems in the long term...

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Cool.. I kinda figured it out..I just haven't found the "constant power" lead so the stereo remember's it's settings..
    I'll keep working at it.. I did crimp though.. But it's only temporary.. I'll solder once I get all the wiring figured out.

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Of course it will get good exposure in the audio forum. Bunch of dorks like me frequent that part of the site. As for the other guy talking about soldering, its a good idea but not required. If you use good quality butt connectors and crimp them right(yes there is a wrong way) then you won't have any problems. If you know how to make a good solder, do it that way and use Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape to cover the wire...all other tape sucks and will eventually fall off in a car. And now to answer your question:
    Constant +12: Orange
    Turnkey: Yellow
    Ground: Black
    Drivers front pos: light brown
    Drivers front neg: grey
    Pass. front pos: light green
    Pass. front neg: dark green
    Pass. rear pos: dark blue
    Pass. rear neg: light blue
    Drivers rear pos: brown
    Drivers rear neg: yellow

You can PM me if you have any other questions...or need any other wires identified...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks 73K5.. This is really going to help me out..
    Appreciate you taking the time to type out the whole wiring code..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hey Charles, If your still having problems, I can cruise by around 4pm or so and help ya out?

Lemme know,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WOooooo. STOP!
    Skip the factory power harness. There is a wire in there for the dash lights.
    Most stereo's have enough length on the harness to make it over to the fuse box. Wonderfull fuse box in the 79 up. If you look, GM nicely labeled all the connection and a spade plugs right in. Your constant 12V will be marked Batt. The switched will be marked Acc. Next to the steering colum where it passes through the fire wall will be a grounding terminal block that you can use a female spade. Quick easy and don't have to cut up the harness and risk tieing into the dash ligh circuit and getting ground faults.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Hey Thomas.. I might need some help..
    Grim.. thanks for the tip.. will take you up on your suggestion.. Don't want the risk of burning up my 89..