Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!! Stereo Installation? - A planning guide for beginners !!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been toying around with the idea of posting up a "sticky" in this forum to address some of the "frequently asked questions" for audio stuff.

Would this be worth the trouble?

8/7/2003 - Here's the latest outline I'm considering:

How far are you looking to go?

1. Replace stock speakers in stock holes, replace deck, maybe add sub
    2. Replace stock speakers in stock holes, replace deck, add amps, add subs
    3. Replace stock speakers in NEW locations, add deck, amps, subs

Disclaimer:

SPL (dB Drag) systems don’t interest me. If you want to replace your interior and seats with a wall of speakers and MDF, go for it. Odds are that you already know what’s needed to accomplish that, and don’t need my help anyway…This document will cover the design, layout and installation of a “conventional” audio system which can meet the objectives outlined below.

The Objective:

20 – 20,000Hz
    Good solid front image
    Clarity & Quality
    Low Noise Floor
    More Volume = More Cost

Basic Musical Theory:

Frequency response – 20 – 20KHz (Chart)
    Typical speaker frequency ranges
    Crossovers (Why and How)

How to Get There:

1. Equipment selection
    2. Interior treatments
    3. Electrical infrastructure
    4. Stereo Installation
    5. Tuning

Equipment Selection –

Head Unit:

Head Unit selection – “Heart of the System”
    Importance of High voltage
    Alternator whine / clicks / pops

Amps / Crossovers:

The 1000 Watts for $100 Fantasy
    The Low-Ohm game…why people do it.
    Specs to look for….Real vs. Marketing trickery
    Naming Names… Low-End Manufacturers to avoid
    Built-in crossovers
    High pass vs low pass (define)
    Crossover slopes (define)
    Chart showing slopes….(6 dB/oct, 12dB, 18 dB)

Speakers:

SPL vs. speaker size vs. power
    Speaker placement vs. Size vs. Convenience
    Front Stage / Rear Fill

Subs:

Mass vs. Acceleration vs. Watts
    Ported vs Sealed
    Output of Ported vs. Sealed
    Box size as a consideration
    Wavelength of Bass Notes
    Vehicle Transfer Function

Wire / Connectors / Power Distribution

Significant costs as system complexity increases
    Spend money on interconnects
    Save money on power wire and speaker wire

Interior Treatments:

Noise Floor – starting with a quiet interior
    16 bits = 96dB maximum dynamic range
    Dynamat, equivalent offerings

Electrical Infrastructure:

Electrical Considerations (Alternator Sizing, Wiring, Fuses)
    Safety
    AWG for various power reqs
    Expensive vs. cheap wire
    Converting watts to an amps for wire sizing
    Stiffening Caps

Stereo Installation:

Head unit
    Mounting amps in side panels vs. Floor Mount
    Grommets thru firewall / sheetmetal
    Soldering vs. Crimping

Tuning:

You can’t tune good sound into a bad installation
    System Level Setting… the payoff from a good head unit
    Speaker break-in

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hey Greg, I'd love too see a "How to/why" on stereo systems writen by you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Yes, great Master. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

OK.....this could get ugly!

I just spent a few minutes typing up an "outline" for the topics I'd like to include and it's already almost 2 pages long.....! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I haven't even written any detail yet.

Hmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Greg how would you make a standard outline for a K5 when the possibilties are endless from anything like installing a headunit to mounting components to whatever anyone could dream up? I mean buy the time you get through writing a book on this, you'll have to start a second addition.
    Catch my point or am I missing the point?

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Okay I reread your post and I think what you are talking about is like answering simple questions. Something like "whats a single voice coil, whats an ohm load, does airspace make a factor, what are tweeters, etc etc etc. Then having the simple answer. Is this what you are trying to accomplish? The basic fundamentals?

7. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Greg how would you make a standard outline for a K5 when the possibilties are endless from anything like installing a headunit to mounting components to whatever anyone could dream up? I mean buy the time you get through writing a book on this, you'll have to start a second addition.
    Catch my point or am I missing the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael,

There are certainly many creative things that can be done when installing a stereo. I'm really not interested in covering that much ground.

There are a lot of "basics" that everyone can benefit from knowing... if you take a look at this forum, certain questions get asked a LOT and certain questions are the result of not fully understanding some underlying concepts of putting a complete system together.

I spend a lot of time responding to questions here, and to PM's I receive about audio... so I figure it's a good use of my time to simply document this information in a single place.

People don't always have the patience to "search", so this would be a way to find 90% of what was needed in a single (albeit lengthy) post. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

add on a section on caps and their oimpact on the stereo system as a whole. Also, good incite as to why certain factors must be addressed like ohms, minimum air space, stuff that the average joe public wouldn't know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    add on a section on caps and their oimpact on the stereo system as a whole. Also, good incite as to why certain factors must be addressed like ohms, minimum air space, stuff that the average joe public wouldn't know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already got those topics covered in my outline, but keep the ideas coming....I'm sure I've still missed a few. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif SKIN EFFECT /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif SKIN EFFECT /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God...... here we go again!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

NO, I am not going to cover "skin effects of electron flow" or other topics that require hats with propellers or slide rules, or HP calculators.....

Maybe tomorrow I will post up the "summary pages" of what I want to cover and you guys can add stuff that's missing, or that you'd like to know more about....????

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i didnt think one simple wire question could lead to... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

13. rebelk5frk

Seriously though, you seem to have most of it covered (at least mentioned already) There will always be something you forget until someone asks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pretty decent resource index that might give you some ideas to cover and/or save you a little typing.

It has stuff like current/length cable chart, capacitor hookup and FAQ, speaker enclosure software and other misc audio/electronic information.

14. Greg72

Kirk,

The trick will be giving information in a SHORT, easy-to-read and understand way....

As I'm sure you know, there are LOTS of places to get detailed specs, etc. but what always seems to be missing is for someone to simply give some quidelines for how to APPLY all that great whiz-bang stuff into an actual solution....

Simple stereos are the easiest (of course!)...what will be tougher is when I start describing systems that are 500 watts and above.....where a "stock" electrical system needs to be supplemented with larger alternator, dual batteries (potentially) and stiffening caps to maximize the rest of the system. It does get more complex as the power numbers go up....those types of systems will be more challenging to describe, and perhaps don't interest that many people here anyway.....????

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    The trick will be giving information in a SHORT, easy-to-read and understand way....

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be tricky to keep it short alright. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You seem to have a lot of info planned already.

You might want to make seperate posts (within the same thread) for each category in your outline to make referencing the information a little easier. Might make the "wealth of information" not seem so overwhelming. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    SKIN EFFECT

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I do that section? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Greg72

New outline is at the top of this thread.....please read, and provide feedback. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. rebelk5frk

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You plan on taking a month or two off of work to write all that up? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Looks good.

19. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

,,,and thats just the basics. You really are going to end up with library of material once your done. On top of that, just in some of your topics, I can already see strong arguments from bothsides thats going to further confuse the average joe.

20. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    I can already see strong arguments from bothsides thats going to further confuse the average joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what the fancy admin options are for.... make it sticky then lock the thread. That way the information isn't dilluted with extra comments.