Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stereo installation blues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

well im 16 n bought a 76 blazer. 2200 for 400sb w/ 40k,th350,np203 partime

wheelin is great, but its the DD n gettin 12mpg on a HS budget is awesome right....

so its fun but i finnally got real tired of having no radio at all

so i bought stuff on ebay n am tryin to wire it all in
    but... i suck at it n have no money to pay for sumone else to do it

ne one wanna help me out...?
    mabey walk me through it r sumtihn
    thatd b awesome

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

splice in the wires, the deck you got should be labeled, the brown and yellow wires go to the left rear, the blue and blue go to the right rear, the lonely yellow should be the acc power, only goes on when key is on, red is hot, and black is ground. i am not sure what deck you have but this worked for my deck.

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Orange is constant hot. You may also have to trim the dash to get the stereo in. Depending on the condition of the dash and wiring, this may not be a good first time install for you. Scope it out and see if you can do it right. Letting your stereo hang from the dash or duct taped in some fashion isn't the route you wanna go. Cussing your install for months down the road may not be worth not having it professionally installed. I used to install audio and video systems for 15 years and have seen some crazy sh1t. Unless there was a stereo of your size in there before, wait and pay to have it done.

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Check the website for the brand deck you bought. They'll probably have the install directions online. Oh, and buy a harness to plug into the factory one at Autozone or Checker/Kragen. I think they're like 4 bucks, and they'll make it a lot easier if you ever change decks again, or sell it to someone who want to, plus the wires you will have to work with will be longer and already stripped. :wink1: You can do it, it's not rocket science, just don't cut corners, and ask more questions of you have them.

5. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

6. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

ok heres what i got,
    theres a DIN size hole in the dash, and there are allready holes in the truck for the speakers, i bought the right size stuff to fit into everything so i didnt have to cut at all.

7. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

http://www.streetdreams.com/wires/gm/general-0pre-1978.html

That is a good link. It highlights the wiring with the common aftermarket color codes. But if your new radio is not common ground you will need to run new speaker wires. If holes have been cut already for the speakers, you may already have new wires. Inspect the wires and make sure if they pass through metal they have a grommet and that they do not run where they may be pinched in a door jam or the like.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

40,000 MILES?

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Methinks the engine has 40K (what he probably intended to write)....a truck that old most certainly has multiples of that number on it.

:wink1:

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I kind of like a clean dash, "some" cd players will work up at an angle, my pioneer did,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]