Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo Q's, Ideas??

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Confedneck, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Stereo Q\'s, Ideas??

ok all...here goes, have a 1986 K10 with a tape deck in the stock opening, and 2 8" speakers in a box behind the seat..so it doesnt sound that great but it works..now heres the question...is there a headunit that would fit in the factory location, tuner only that has a remote 6 disc changer? or has anyone ever made a flush-mount setup so that the face of the stereo is flush with the dash?? and what kind of components do you reccomend for good longevity and performance? i like infiniti kappas.. and id like to use the same brand for speakers, subs and head unit if possible..thanks in advance.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif all ears here

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Stereo Q\'s, Ideas??

There are lots of stereo's with CD changer controles that'll fit your dash. Just use a mounting kit. I've became a fan of JVC. I've had alot of good luck with JVC so far. Get the Infinity Kappa's, no reson the speakers have to carry the same name as the head unit. Think about a 4 channel amp to run the main speakers, and a 2 or 1 channel amp for your subs.

3. Confedneck

i dont want to cut my dash to install a cd player/head unit if i can avoid it..

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You're talking about a 86 ??? Okay, I'm not sure how the dash is on a 86. Is it a post type radio ??? If you removed the factory stereo, would it be one rectanglar hole or one small rectanglar hole with two round holes ??? I've got a 76 K5 and thought a 86 would be different then mine. Anyways, you can get one of those overhead consoles that you can mount the stereo in, you could mount it in the console, you could mount it in your clove box,...ect.

5. Confedneck

its a post style radio now..and ive already ditched the glovebox idea..thats a long reach across a 4 speed shifter to change stations...i dont have a console..nor will i ever..and the above the head thing is out because the roof is gonna be EMPTY...clean

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mount it under the dash like a CB. You can get a slide bracket and take it in with you every nite.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Is it only the plastic dash that a 2-poster, or will you need to cut the sheetmetal behind it the same way?

Regardless.... if it were me, I'd stop sweating it. If you cut now and want to return to "factory", you could always swap a new plastic console in there. A small piece of backing metal would probably be enough to hold the original deck back in place at that point too......

Not to sound like a jerk, but it's not a "collectibility" issue with a truck like yours....it's not going to preserve resale value, so why not enjoy a "modern" stereo in a location that's ACTUALLY convenient for you? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Whatever you do, can always be "undone" if you want to spend the time at it.....heck, I'm undoing the hacked metal in my 1st Gen because I want a 2-post AM radio back in the factory spot. It's going to be a pain the butt to do, but I'm willing to spend the time to do it.

If your concerns are more "security" related, then that's a whole different story.

8. Confedneck

its not a collectibility issue at all, if you see my truck youd understand that LOL..im pretty sure its the metal too thats setup for a 2 poster..i would just like to know how to get it to end up as flush with the dash as possible..because i want it to look clean..security doesnt bother me...and mounting it down low is out of the question...i had though about mounting it with the faceplate towards the floor behind the dash and a small mirror on the floor to control it with a remote....still looking for ideas..toss me what ya got.. and greg...you didnt sound like a jerk...i want any ideas i can get..

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sometimes the adapter kits they sell stick out pretty far (and yes, those look ugly to me too!)....I guess step one is to find a local shop that sells the kit you'd need to buy and see what it looks like....

If the kit looks like you're going to get a flush, nice install....it's time to cut! Otherwise.....you probably need to find a "real" stereo shop to at least fab up the deck mounts for you.

10. Confedneck

well i have a lot of friends with imports and the like..so i guess its time to see their people about some custom work...now..people reccomend some good components..amps, subs, speakers..

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Well, if you don't want it to stick out too far, my Panasonic 983u from Crutchfield only protrudes about 12mm from the dash. only slightly more than the plastic that surrounds the cutout. And they supply everything you need for the installation.

12. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

I have an 83 k5 and when i installed my deck i got my installation kit from circut city for like 14 bucks. i got it and read the directions and it said the only tools you'de need is a screw driver and some channel lock pliers!!
    well thats impossible to do. I ended up using a skill saw and a screw driver, but who needs directions?! I marked off where i needed to cut by using the deck can (the square peice of metal the deck slides into) as a stencil. cut away at the dash, and my deck now fits flush. It's nice for now, but i don't like where GM put the radio in the first place, you can't really glance at it without pocking your head off to the side of the steering wheel, same with using any of the buttons on the deck itself. But I'm a short fella, it may be different for you taller guys. Good luck.

13. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    a skill saw and a screw driver

[/ QUOTE ]
    How big did you cut that hole? No kits are needed to install any aftermarket deck. Just a pair of tin snips ånd a sharp pocket knife/box cutter. The outter case will help the deck stablelize and with out a kit it will fit closer to the factory dash bezel.