Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87K506, Mar 4, 2007.

1. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I'm tryin to gather up info for my upcoming build on my k5, and since this is the only place i can post right now (paid membership will be coming soon). What is the largest speaker you can fit under the dash correctly? I mean stereo locations. I can modify the speaker brackets to hold larger speakers, but I'm tryin to figure out how big i can go without it hitting the dashpad, or pushing on the dashpad.

Cory

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i cant tell ya but i have 4 inchers laying on top of the gaping holes where the speakers used to be.

3. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

yeah i figured 4 inchers would work in the speaker brackets with some modifications, but im worried about goin bigger than that and hitting the dashpad cause im buying a new pad

4. bigblaza

bigblaza Registered Member

well Im working on my build right now and Im not even using the stock speaker spaces...even if you put 4's in there you're not gonna get much from them...I would put 6.5's components in the door and use the stock spaces for tweeters. I couldn't find 3.5's that sounded worth puttting in there. but thats my opinion...

5. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've got 6x8's in the doors, and will be replacing the dash speakers with 4" Polks or Pioneers. Anyone know what the size is of the center dash speaker in a '87 K5?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I put 3.5 inch Soundstreams in mine , they are crossed over , so no bass goes there . Sound great for the frequencies that do go there . You will need to cut the metal bar under it for anyones 3.5's with tweeters to fit .

7. bigblaza

I believe it is a 5X7...I toyed with the idea of putting a speaker years ago when I first got my blazer...but I couldnt find a stereo store that stock a speaker with those dimensions...

8. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Okay, thank you. I just figured when I replace my dash I should replace the speakers while I'm at it, along with an amp for the speakers.

9. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to stay away from cutting the doors up or anything...So I want to put speakers in the stock locations. I think I am going to go with a dashpad cover instead, So I think i can cut the pad away for the speaker to work, and then still have the cover go over the stock openings...if that makes sense

10. bigblaza

I hear ya on that. I was going for more sound so thats why I went in the doors.

11. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I think i'm gonna have plenty of volume...and the frequency responce should be ok... The current plan is 4" in the dash, 6 1/2" behind the front seat/infront of the rear seat, and 6x9's in the back with 2 RF 10" subs in the sides of the cargo area in custom boxes...should sound pretty bad ass