Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stereo says "locked"

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ChickenRammit, Sep 24, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my buddy gave me his stock 6 disc cd changer that came with his 2005 gmc crew cab. i installed it in my girlfriend's 2004 chevy colorado and the stereo says "locked" on the screen. i looked in the owners manual and it says to take it to the dealer to unlock it. i was just wondering if anyone knew another way around this little feature that they so conveniently setup in their new head units.

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

not that i know of, we called the local chevy dealership and they told us the code to unlock it.

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah there is. My mom's 98.5 Tahoe had to be towed when she blew out the 4L60E (go figure :D) and they had to disconnect the battery while working on it and when we got it back the stereo was locked.

We searched the internet and found one place that gave us the procedure on how to enter the unlock mode and another that gave us the number to call to get a code. When you call you enter information about your vehicle and it spits out a 4 digit (I believe it was 4, can't remember) number and then you just type it in.

I'll find it but I doubt it's the same procedures for the '05's. Just search google and you'll find it, I'm sure.

-Avery

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Same deal for my mom's '01 2500. Just google stereo locked and you will find it. I have a copy of the directions in my parents filing cabinet (it has occured 2 more times since I moved out). Once you get it you can program it not to lock in the future.

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's a good idea, must be a new feature because I think I would have done that the first time if I would have seen it.
    There are some neat features on the newer trucks, one I just read about is if you turn the ignition off and take the key out then hold down the odometer/trip meter button thingy it'll flash the miles then flash the number of hours on the engine. That way you can really tell what it's been through especially if you are buying used "highway miles" can really be determined.

-Avery

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my '99 Tahoe the code was on a small decal on the side on the glovebox. It was also on the back cover of the owners manual.