Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo setup

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

i was curious if anybody had done anything interesting audio wise to their rigs. I am deciding how to set up my speakers etc,not a super system just something nice for cruising.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't forget there is an "Audio" section on this message board too... [​IMG]

Lot's of stereo 'crazies' there....but I'll bet you could get the input you're looking for.

-Greg72

"Don't ask me about conservative stereos.....all my ideas are off-the-deep-end!!!!!" [​IMG]

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Thanks greg but i decided to post in here since these trucks are somewhat different than the 73 ups that would most likely respond. Like I said i was just curious where people have setup their speakers etc. I am not putting anything to hairy in my blazerjust something to cruise to.

4. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if your planing to cut your dash? I have seen some cool radios that don't need to cut the dash and look very orignal with modern features like the USA line of radios. I use to do a lot of tinkering around with systems and have a lot of great ideas if you plane on keeping it simple but want some great sound and don't want 100 speakers exsposed let me know. You can buy some kick panels with speakers. Cut your doors. Hide your tweets behind your vent balls. In the rear maybe you still have the side panels witch would be fine for 6x9s

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Avctually i was gonna mount my reciever under my dash with a marine type flip face cover. Was gonna run the kicks w/ the pioneers and put some 6 inchers in the bed area. any other ideas

6. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

At this point, I'm using a JVC 2 post radio/casette, with 6X9 in the side panels behind the seat. I want to ditch the radio, but don't know what to buy to replace it. Thought about the console mount ideas, but you can't see it to change stations. Any other ideas? Brand recommendations?

7. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

I know I am going to stick with the two post style radio. I removed the one that was in my Jimmy a week ago and boy was it a pain. Bet it wouldn't be all that appealing to a thief.
    Just another tip for those of you who wanna get more life from your speakers. Make sure you put a shield on the back of those that are on the doors and rear side panels. Its a plastic piece that covers the top back of the speaker to make the water run off to the sides.
    Has anyone here tried the line of USA 1-6 radios ,would like some info before I buy?

8. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

My friend had his stereo mounted in a console..it sucked. you always had to look down to change it etc. i dont like the idea of having to turn my head away from the road to change the station. I would get another post radio. Plus who would want to steal a post radio nnowadays. I need special mounting for mine since it is a cd player and I thought the under dash route with the marine mount would be perfect. I am not gonna cut up my dash to fit it just b/c i dont feel like it.

9. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

Any recommendations on post radios? (Price etc.) I would like to have separate bass/treble controls. Other than that, I'm not too picky.

10. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Try this place <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crutchfield.com>http://www.crutchfield.com</A> They have anything you could want.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

11. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah Crutchfield is good. They are a little more expensive bggut you get installations kits and harnesses with your stuff. Not that it would help on trucks as old as ours i think.

12. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My dash was HACKED (very badly, I might add) by the previous owner to fir a DIN size radio into it. I'm going to weld up some of the mistakes he made (lots of 'em, he covered them up with a piece of plastic that isn't even straight and the screw pattern isn't nice and rectangular!) and put in another DIN size radio/CD player.

As for speakers? HAH! I have a mismatched pair of cheap 6x9 speakers in my Blazer (one of one brand, one of another), also courtesy of the previous owner. Some day, I'm going to address the sound system in the Blazer, but I had my hands full with other projects for the immediate future.