Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo Update with ?'s

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dhcomp, Nov 7, 2006.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hey yall,
    If this suburban purchase goes thought, i have a new audio project!

I have most of it worked out in my head, but need a 300watt rms 2ohm stable amp for a JL 12w3. A couple years ago, my buddy picked up an alpine amp for about $120 that was stereo, but 2 ohm stable when bridged.

Anyone have any suggestions on an amp? Basically want a name brand, but dont' want to spend too much, and it needs to be relatively small (think under front seat).

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, you mentioned "name brand" and the one i am going to mention is not really "name brand" they are a fairly new company, and the guy that sold me mine (mom & pop stereo shop) said that the company is so confident in their workmanship, that if the amp fails, they would send TWO in replacement...

Not sure if that's just a dealer thing, or for everyone though..

Anyhoo, i have a 1500w amp, running two 15" dual coil Kickers, running at ONE ohm, and it is completely stable, heats up while blasting, but has NEVER cut out on me yet, even made the interior of the truck "smell nice" kinda,,, from the heat of the amp....anyhoo, i am VERY satisfied with the quality, and workmanship so far of this amp, and i have had it about a year now with daily use...

i paid $500 for this amp,,,,,:D

they do have smaller power amps available though.

just a thought,,

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

On the cheap, I would go with Swiss Audio. I know "I've never heard of them", but they are made by parent company Audiobahn. They are not expensive and do a decent job.

4. dhcomp

Any idea where i could find info online about what they offer?

Once i really started looking, i found out it may be easier to just get a mono block amp - i thought it would be more $$$, but it might not be.

Right now im looking at this alpine, for about $140 shipped.
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=MRP-M450

It pumps 400 RMS into 2ohms, which might be a little on the high side for my JL 12w3, but if i keep the gain down it should be fine.....

Definitely open to that solid audio company if they have something in the $$$ range and size i need though. I'll probably have another week before i order, saying as i don't even have the truck i want to put it in yet.....

THanks!

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have heard of them , many a cover car on CA&E has had those amps . Me , I went with cheap , and quality and run a Rockford Fosgate bridged to two 8 ohm 10's :D

6. dhcomp

Maybe i should have looked at more mono amps.....

Just looking around some more, i guess i can get:
    rockford fosgate P325.1 for about $145, 2ohm bridged RMS 325watts.
    fosgate P3001 for about $145, 300x1 2ohms

Infinity 311A mono puts out about 311watts into 2ohms, about $140

Clarion APX1300 mono $90-$115 Shipped, 400watts into 2ohms

Audiobahn A6005DN mono 300 into 2ohms $90-140

Kicker Kicker ZX300.1 about $120 300 watts

And now im just making myself a list.

Guess i got excited and didn't research enough before asking you guys. THanks for your suggestions.....and reviews on these amps?

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

you'll be very happy with a kicker amp... ive bought several times from "woosatech" on ebay and his prices are UNBEATABLE on kicker stuff.. look at his feedback and you'll see that its for real, too.. I dont make a habit of plugging stuff like this but im a very satisfied customer... check it out

mike

8. dhcomp

Ok, ill check him out.

Whats your guy's opinion on wiring? Spend the money for good stuff, or buy the off brand stuff? I know they sell 2 amp kits with a distribution block, but they all seem way more expensive than just 2 amp kits......which was should i go? Where do you normally order amp kits from?

THanks!

9. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Out of those choices Id be most interested in the Kicker. Not a huge fan of the new fosgate amps, Infinity and Clarion and solid companies but not world class amp makers (but okay), audiobahn.... no way Id touch them.

*shrug* Most times when comparing similar amplifiers, you wont notice a huge difference in performance from one to another. Again assuming you are comparing similar quality products (and you are), just pick the one that meets your power needs, has the accessories you need (built-in xover etc), fits your budget and appeals to your personal taste.... do that and you'll have yourself a great amp. :)

10. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Knukonceptz has excellent quality at reasonable prices. Unless you have an in with some local place, this is likely gonna be your best price vs value option.

Id also recommend hitting your local welding supply house to price wire. Knukoncepts is cheap for wire compared to other 'audio' stores/manufacturers, but they couldn't touch my local welding suppliers prices. Of course you'd still need the fuses and distro blocks from an audio store.

Running two single amp kits simultaneously would be fine. The dual kit simply upsizes the wire and fuses to allow both amps to run off a single run of wire and fuses. Running two kits means you'd be running two wires and fuses side by side, but many people have chosen this as an economical option with fine success.

11. dhcomp

GOod link. They seem to have some good stuff! Saying as i'll probably never put more than 2 amps in, i may just go with the 2 kits.

THat being said, what is normally the reccomended way to connect to the battery? Every install i have done is kinda funky in this aspect....i normally just remove the clamping bolt on the battery cable, and thread the bolt through the power wire eye. Whats teh better way to do this?

12. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Look under 'battery terminals' on their webpage. They have terminals that replace your stock ones and that unclude places to add another wire or two. Knu isn't thye only one, many companies offer these types of battery connectors in various shapes and styles, find the one that meets your needs best and use it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

13. dhcomp

Thanks! Guess that battery question was a dumb one, after i've done about 5 or so amp installs.....they were all just budget installs with one amp though, so hooking up to the stock wire did the trick. Now that i'm on to my truck though, im gonna do it right. THanks!

14. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

It was not a dumb question at all. :) Just glad I could help.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think Ebay !!!!! If for a sub, or pair of subs, look at class D mono block amps. Do your research. Hifonics is a decent name brand. Some people say they don’t put out the advertised watts, but I know a few people that swear by them. MMATS, US Amps, Phoenix Gold, are all good, but not the cheapest out there. Heck for no more watts then you’re after, a MTX amp might fit the bill. Shop around, see what’s available in your targeted price range and post up some links. I know quite a few here will be happy too give you their opinions.

16. dhcomp

Ok, so i got in a hurry, and ordered the mono block Alpine. It was a decent deal, and was the smallest of the bunch.

I order a ton of stuff from ebay, but for this amp, i wanted to be able to return it in case it didnt' fit right, or i had an issue with it, so i skipped ebay.
    I bought the amp, and 2 4 gauge wiring kits, shipped 3 day express, for $220. Install will happen on friday after thanksgiving, ill update then!

Thanks!

17. dhcomp

Ok, so i did some of the install today. Stupid Etronics F'ed up my order, so i didnt' get my amp kits, and had to get some 8gauge crap locally. Probably pushing it on teh Alpine amp, but we'll see how it goes. Installed under the passenger seat, all is well.

Install my old sony deck with a new wiring harness, and WTF, no remote turn on wire. Amp is currently wired to the ignition switch until i can get the other wiring harness.

Stupid GM integration harness excludes the rear door speakers (on teh burb), so no sound to those speakers until i rewire them.

Went to install a 4 channel under the drivers seat, and discover an ABS sensor. No good. What can i do about this? If theres enough clearance, is it ok to put blocks aroudn it and mount the amp on top? How sensitive is this thing? Kinda worries me......in 96 i think it was just a frame rail mounted sensor, so i didn't expect this on the 97.

So basically, i ran into a lot of issues, but i do have a sub now :). This is all the time i can spend on my truck for a while, probably til christmas, so hopefully i can get some of this worked out then. Thanks for the advice guys!

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just for future references, I prefer too run 0/1 gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block. Makes wiring multiple amps systems easier, and a cleaner looking install.

19. dhcomp

Yah, i looked into that. 2 amps is the most i'll ever run, so wiring 2 kits just looked like the more economical option. Plan was to run 2 4 gauge kits, but that plan died when my shippment didn't come and i couldnt' find anythign local. Oh well, i can upgrade it later.......

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just always made a cleaner install on muli-amp set ups in my opinion.