Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BayouBlazer88, Jan 29, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

When I was putting back my aftermarket stereo I noticed several wires that must have connected to the factory stereo/cassette player. There is a brown wire and tan wire that are stuck together, I'm guessing these wires were for background lighting on the factory stereo but I shouldn't have to use these, right? There were also yellow, black, and gray wires. Now correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I think each one is for: yellow is for power when ignition is on, gray is for constant power (i.e. clock time and radio station presets), and black is for ground. Let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

2. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

on my 77 k10 yellow is for power,black is ground and gray is for lighting controlled by the headlight switch.Hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I'd cap all those wires off and start from scratch. Run all new wires and you'll know where and what they're for. I never mess with old wires if I can help it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. BayouBlazer88

I don't have time to run all new wires. I just need to know what all these wires are for so I can put my cd player back in. I originally had constant power connected to the orange wire, ignition power connected to the yellow which is where it's going to stay, and I had made my own ground to a metal part under the dash (which was the cause of my stereo not working), the grey and black wires were not used. I'll probably check all the wires with a volt meter this weekend to know for sure which is which.

5. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to confirm the grey and yellow wires is to hook up a multimeter to it. The black is most definitely a ground wire. With the ignition off, check the wires and see if there is voltage, if there is, then that is your constant power source. Then turn the key to acc. and check the wire that didn't have voltage to it and see if it does now, that would be the ignition wire to turn the radio off/on with the ignition. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifT E S T L I G H T /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. BayouBlazer88

I fixed this about a week ago. But thanks for the replies.