Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereo woes..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Oct 7, 2006.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I just got a new stereo and hooked it up.................. it powers on.. everythhing works for a few seconds..then it powers off.... and starts right back up. All the wires SEEM to be in order but obviously something isnt right..

Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I checked the volts, the acc. wire is 12v... the constant hot was only 3v for some reason.. So I found an empty terminal on the fuse box..tapped into there.. have 12 volts on BOTH wires.. and now it wont power on at all. I checked the fuse on the radio and its fine... The ground is good... I dont know what else is left?

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like something got hurt with the low voltage... Sure you checked all applicable fuses?

4. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

It's hooked to the blinker... :haha::haha: I kill me!

Seriously, check the radio for proper function. pull it out and go hook it directly up to the battery. make sure it works.

then, check your constant hot for current. make sure it's not on a low current circuit. the acc wire only needs to be a few mA but the power line should be a couple amps. even better, go out and get a wiring harness for it. then it will use all the factory wiring. for our trucks, its 3 plugs i think.

5. TheToolmaker

TheToolmaker Registered Member

Also make sure you plug an antenna in when you are testing it. For some reason some radios won't work without an antenna hooked up. Good luck!!!