Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stereotypes - racisim, whats offensive ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by theperfectgarage, May 5, 2006.

1. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Some of my thoughts. If I see a truck on the street here in Tucson decked out a certain way, I know it belongs to a Mexican. I attach no negative conatation to this. This would be a stereotype, right? And I do not see that as "bad", simple observation. Now if I carry on further and say " I know how all of them are, no insurance, ilegal alien, etc." I'm putting the whole race in a box and to me thats racist and bad.
    On the other side of that, If you see my blazer you can be pretty sure I'ts drivin by a white guy with at least a slightly red neck. I take no offence at that. I would find it offensive if you made the leap and thought that because of what I drive you think you know what I like to drink or what kind of music I listen to, etc.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i often look at vechiles and make assumptions as to what kind of person is driveing them, but thats about all i do, usualy a cuss word is added no matter what type of vechile and assumption i make

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes.........................

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ha, if you saw my Toyota truck packed full of all my mowing stuff youd think I was a mexican.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its not neccessarily bad . Its human nature . Now there are always exceptions and such , but usually its right on anyway . And besides everyone who stereotypes , is stereotyped themselves .

I wouldn't worry about it too much . The important thing is to work hard and love your family .

The people who get all political in the world come and go , and always have , always will .

However , rest assured , the regular folks will still be in that world making the gears go around .

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Whoh man, deep, especially for a redneck.:wink1: J/K pauly.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Life is just getting easier the more I have to put up with :wink1:

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

hmmm. interesting comment. :rolleyes:

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

People categorize each other and themselves into groups. You've done it your whole life, it's human nature.

rich/poor
    hardworking/lazy
    smart/stupid
    military/civilian
    American/Canadian/
    black/white/brown/yellow/red

Generally speaking the problem seems to begin when you categorize from hate with the intent to do harm.

10. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Well if you saw my blazer then you would think I was a white redneck.

11. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

everyone that knows me well considers me to be racist. Im really not though. I hate everybody equally.:D j/k
    I believe that there are good black people, good mexicans, and even good white people, but I also believe that for every good person there is at least one bad one. I do have the habit of stereotyping people by the way they dress and what they drive but Im not really discriminating against them I just see a cadillac with 22s and think there must be a black guy driving that.

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Who hasn't played, guess the race of the person driving the car we are about to pass. Suckers, that's who.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Only if the tires stuck out about 5 feet from the fenderwells:D

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

We had a name for those trucks when I lived in Texas:whistle:

15. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

all my friends call my toyota a taco

16. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I probably should not even reply to this as I dont want to get into any beef with anyone here, but I will say IMHO every person is racist to a certain degree from a very very small amount to an obvious racist person in some form, or see people in a stereotypical view to some degree. alot of people are so hypocritical and self-righteous that they would never admit that they DO have those views though. or they actually believe that because there views are not like those of say a true race hater like a KKK member that they should not or could not be classified as racist when in fact thats exactly what they would be considered my most other people standards is a racist, just on a lesser level.

stereotyping is ever more broad then true racism, EVERYONE stereotypes people in some form or fashion. that just how life is, and its your freedom of thought to do so too. it may not be moraly right by socities standards or humanities standards of whats right and wrong, but it IS your freedom of thought to feel how ever you feel. just know a person can feel however one wants BUT any action taken against another person with ill intension based on racist or stereotypical views has consequences to be delt with. weather it be retaliation or just plane bad karma that rains down necessary retrobution for being a race hating stereotyping individual. am I guilty of these views even though they may not or are not right, I admit it sure to some level, would I ever hurt an indivdual because of the views I do have, absolutely not. would I defend to the death someone trying to hurt me or my family because of there views toward me, you bet your sweet ass I would.

we are all prone to racism, or stereotyping wheather we are giving it or receiving it. thats just life. one thing is for damn sure and that is we are all going to live and we are ALL going to die period.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

nobody would admit to it? i will.

when it comes to black people, until i get to know you, you're borderline, could be good, could be bad. hispanics, i always assume the worst. has nothing to do with the way i was raised, its just from my observations i have made on how people are. physical appearance and the type of surroundings and posessions i see play a big role in the first impression. i'm not about to avoid someone because of it, but im not going to approach someone who doesnt appear to be someone i want to associate with. if they approach me, i'll deal with it in a respectable manner, and if i dont like what i hear or see at that point, then i will avoid if necessary.

there's a mexican guy that lives across the street from me, who initially fell into the bad category. speaks VERY poor english, drives a Tahoe on 22s, and dresses like your stereotypical mexican thug most of the time. having seen him working in his yard and on his house, i could tell that he was a respectable person. last winter it had snowed quite a bit, and when i came through with the plow truck, i got out and offered to clear his driveway too. got to talking to him, and he's a really cool guy. born in Mexico, and here legally. he's working hard for what he's got, and is doing a pretty good job. oh yeah, he HATES illegals too.

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

beater k20 im with you man.... with black people, borderline til i get to know them, mexicans i assume the worst til i get to know them.... theres a guy next door to my moms house thats mexican and hes a good guy, keeps his kids in line, works on his house and yard all the time... but until i got to know him he was just another mexican to me....

ill admit im racist but i believe there are good and bad people in every race. even white people.

19. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

With me personnally I'd have to say that I judge people for the most part by what they wear or drive, for example a black guy wearing a basketball jersey that is 10 times too big, with baggy pants, one pant leg pulled up, with a mouth full of gold, bling hanging off his neck and wrist, corn rows, some color bandanna around his head comes limping in my direction while I walk down the road at night, I would get nervous. Same guy walking towards me on the same road at night wearing a polo shirt that fits and a pair of kahki shorts that arent hanging around his knees, some sandals, with short hair and nothing in his mouth but a tounge and some teeth wouldnt make me nervous at all. I geuss that makes me a "fashionist".

20. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

You're not mexican?

(I can't believe a whole page of posts and noone tossed out the super troopers line)