Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stering adjust doubts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JORGE, Nov 18, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    I have a little trouble with the stering adjust datas. I,m Spanish
    and i,m not be able to know what does it mean Toe In,Caster,Camber and Trust. I can,t to traslate these words to the Spanish and know what kind of the stering angles are each one of these words.Could somebody send to me a picture of the wheells indicating this angles?My mail is:
    Coketruck2002@yahoo.es
    Thanks for all the answers.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

toe= If you were to be looking down on the front wheels from above if the tires point towards/away from each other towards the front of the vehicle. In= they point towards each other at the front, Out would be they point away. Zero tow would mean they are exactly parrallel. There is a little give in ball joints, Tierods. To account for this you usualy run about 1/8 of an inch of tow in.
    Camber= The angle that the tire is to the road surface. On our trucks it is not easily adjustable. The only way to adjust it is to put a wedge shapped shim between the spindle and the knuckle. Unless the axle tube is bent it should be pretty close from the factory and not need adjustment.
    Caster is a measure of the piviot point. It is measure by drawing an imaginary line through the ball joints. This is preset at the factory and short of cutting off the ends of the axle tube and rotating them it is not adjustable. Best way to understand what this does is to relate it to the caster on a shopping cart. The front wheels have a slight lean to them so they track straight. if it didn't have the lean (or to much lean) they would flop around. This is what produces the "return to center". This is when you turn and let go of the wheel it straightens the wheels on it's own.
    All you really need to worry about adjusting durring an allingment on these trucks is Toe if it doesn't have a huge liftt that required rotating the pinion up a great deal.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Positive Camber looks like this: \ /. Tops of the tires are out.
    Negitive Camber looks like this: / \ . Tops of the tires are in

Positive Caster is like the front wheel on a bike. <front< /
    Negitive Caster is like a shoping cart. <front< \

Toe In is like the toes on your feet ponting in.

Thrust is the center point of where the rear wheels push. If 2 ropes of the same length were tied to the tires and brought togather, to form a triangle. The point of the triangle is the "Thrust". If this point was off to the left or right, than the car would "dog-track" or drive slightly sideways. Don't worry about this one, unless the frame or axle is bent.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Does it mean the converge angle for the wheells is the Toe in? So, might i to have 1/8" less in the distance wheell to wheell in the fornt of the wheellls than in the rear of the wheells? (converge ,cause is a rear wheell drive truck when is not in the 4x4 position).
    Let me know soon,and thanks for your help.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Put the front axle on jack stands so they are just off the ground. Take a pen and make a mark on the tread of both front tires. Measure this distance. spin the tire till mark is in back (as clse to the back as you can. drive shaft and spings will not let you get it all the way back). Measure. Distance in front needs to be 1/8 of an inch less in the front. That's how I set mine. Tires wear even.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes, is good.But i have a trouble with the stering wheell,i must to keep out it twisted for going right. Also i have seen the out side of the tire,starts to fade more quicker than the in side. I think i might to goes to any worksho wich has an stering aligned machine.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Jorge
    "Yes, it is good. But I have a problem with the steering wheel, I have to turn the wheel, to get it to go streight (?). Also, I have seen the out-side of the tire wears faster then the in-side. I think I might go to a shop that has a alignment machine."

Is this the question?
    Why is the steeing wheel is off center?
    The steering wheel might be off-center because the steering link is not adjusted correctly. The steering link (drag-link) is the link that is on the driver's side. It goes from the steering gear (box-mounted to the frame) to the front axle. There is a sleave in the middle with 2 bolts. Loosen the bolts, then turn the sleave in the middle, 1/4 turn. Tighten the bolts and drive it.
    Did that make the steering wheel streight?
    No? Then try again, same way.
    It might take several tries to make it correct.
    Make sure the bolts are tight after.

Take it to a alighnment shop is the best wy to go.

Good luck, Jorge.

<font color=blue>Twizid</font color=blue> in the head

8. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes i know it.The truck rans good,until a day it started to need ,to keep out twisted the stering wheell, for going right.
    I was looking the stering bars,and found the passengers side slave (right wheell) was loose,and i did can to turning it with the hand, somebody didn,t thighten enough the bolts.
    Now my stering is a mess.I hate to drive with the stering-wheell off center.
    I,ll try to laign it tomorrow,if the trouble persists i,ll go to the work shop.Thanks.