Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stering Column looseness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnnieg, Jun 9, 2005.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody, my name's John and my Blazer's broken. *Hi, John* haha

Anyway, a while back I took the K5 to a shop (first mistake) to get the rear axle fixed. I didn't notice it at first but about a week later I pushed on the top of the steering wheel and everything moved around inside the column! GAH this is why I hate it when other people work on my truck. My best guess as to what happened is they used the wheel to pull themselves into the truck and tore it apart. It's too late now to complain to them so I'm just gonna fix it myself and never go back *COUGHdaniel'schevroletCOUGH*. It's so messed up the shifter and turn signal stalks are binding so I have to lift up the wheel to get it in gear. It is loose in all directions, up down left right. What do you all think happened and what do I need to fix this? It's a little creepy going down the interstate with a steering wheel that just flops around so all help is appreciated! Tell me if you need more info on what it's doing.
    88 K5 - 350 TBI - 700R4 - NP208 - 10 bolts F/R

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i dont know if this will solve the problems or not, but heres an article on rebuilding steering columns
    http://www.necoa.org/article95.html

once you tear it apart, you will probably find some broken pieces in there so just replace as nessecary. (best source for parts would be the junkyard)
    its either that or replace the entire column (if you want to upgrade to a later column with tilt/intermitten wipers/whatever this may be the easiest option in the long run)

3. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Been through this myself. The parts wear out if you move the column up and down a lot like I do. Just rebuild the coulmn. It is a lot cheaper than the full replacement.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

if its the same problem i had then its just 3 screws that need to be tightened and lock tightened.

DONT WORK ON IT WITHOUT BRICKS BEHIND THE TIRES

and its probably from pulling yourself up by the wheel.

5. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

Man don't make the mistake i did. Long story:
    I had noticed that my colum had become loossee and like many of us here, we have large TO DO LIST so i thought it should be at the bottom. Well one evening i was driving home and my colum fell into my lap. Just plan fell. The truck then die while i was driving, leaving me with out steering or power brakes. Lucky i was turing right as this happed so i was luck to turn into a parking lot. But jsut to think if i hadn't been turing i would of been in a reck.
    After that i had to replace the whole colum. So don't let it get to lossee

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

AHHHH, My TO-DO-LIST just changed. Thanks for the link too. Gunna do that on my next day off.

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have an excellent condition manual tranny non tilt column with nice grant 3 spoke chevy wheel on it.... 50.00

8. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got my '79 Jimmy for cheap. I knew the column needed tightening, or so I thought. I figured, hey, I can just tighten up those torx bolts and be done with it. Nope. Needed a new column. Wasn't cheap either.

9. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Update Fixed!!!

sure enough, the four bolts in the back of the column were the culprit. the bottom ones were totally out and the top one I could get to was really loose. that link was awesome!!! it helped alot. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005