Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stering problem.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Jul 11, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Hows it going everyone. Ive got a little problem. I just got myself an 87 K5 from this guy. It have a 4 inch lift and 33s. Yesterday I was driving around and I turned the truck i heard a little pop sound. It wasnt really loud but I could hear it alittle. Now whenever i turn when im driving slow i hear the same thing. It also pops when i stop. Anyone know what could be up? I think i might need to get some new bushing but im not 100% sure. Any suggestions?

lmk
    nick

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Where is the pop coming from? Front, back, somewhere in the middle? Is it worse if you coast or are on the gas? If you just turn the wheels from lock to lock does it do it? Sounds like it could be a squeaky bushing, or best case is that you have a detroit in the rear /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . My front spring bushings make little popping noises when I turn the wheels from lock to lock when the truck is sitting still. If it's an unconverted full time 4x4 then a limited slip in the front axle can pop too. Have a freind turn the wheels back and forth while you stand outside the truck and try to pinpoint the noise, if it doesn't do it while sitting still then have a freind drive the truck slowly, turning back and forth so it makes the pop, while you walk next to it and try to locate the noise. </font color>

3. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

The pop comes from the front by the tires. I only notice it when im slowing down to make a turn. I havent heard it when i change lanes or anything. Its not a squeak its a pop. Its not a full time 4x4. I have a knob that i can put it into 4x4 with. Ill try to find exactly where its comming from in the morning and ill post it up.

thanx
    nick

4. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Found the problem. It was my Tie rod ends. Changed them out today and no more poping sound.

thanx for all the help.
    Nick